Did you update to Vray 2.0?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you update to Vray 2.0?

I'd like some feedback/reviews on Vray 2.0.

As a user of Vray 1.5 and Vray RT I'm hesitating with the update, because I don't see big features I'm lusting for, and the update price is not extremely attractive either, for RT owners.

One thing I'd like to play around with is the lens effect. But I'm not sure if's really useful.

Are there any kickass examples of the new features?
    Marc Lorenz
    ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
    www.marclorenz.com
    www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Lens effects its pretty 2d/flat/fake effect so its not worth it.

But for things like dispersion and other things I'd say go for it, Car Paint at some lvl its also good and RT CPU/GPU. Also the updated lights and BT its good feature...

its quite big update so go for it... Try youtube chaosgroup channel for more info ! They got few good examples

Definitely worth the new filter output select light....
    CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Watching the videos...I just learned about the MultiSubTex...I was waiting for that for ages.
      That's like the biggest feature for me.
      (Many color variations of the same shader?)
      Why isn't it documented anywhere?
      I'll probably update just because of that.
      Marc Lorenz
      ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
      www.marclorenz.com
      www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

The documentation is out somewhere updated...I couldnt find it, I also hear that chaos is making a new one or something like that... no idea GL tho

Gz on updating enjoy it !
        CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Same here, I didn't upgrade yet.
          Of course, one big reason is that insensitive local reseller attitude (they still didn't answer how can I upgrade my 1.5 and dongle).

We know that the big difference between 1.0 and 1.5, there are so many nice updated features for free.
          I think upgrade from 1.5 to 2.0 is not so attractive, but if it compared to 1.0 vs 2.0, it's very good.
          So IMHO the merits of upgrade will be revealed slowly as time goes on (like 2.1, 2.2, .... 2.5 ) before v-ray 3.0 out.
          :: twitter :: Portfolio :: My 3D Products :: ...and ::

Comment

I'm not in a big hurry for this either. There's no new feature I need at this point and I already paid for RT so I'm sitting this out for now.

Comment

I upgraded. There was no one thing in there that was mind-blowing in the kind of way that most major updates are these days, but then again Vray already added most of the big stuff along the way. What was really missing, comparatively speaking?

Anyway, I felt it was worth upgrading simply to support Chaos and the great work that has gone into all the point updates - and I only jumped onboard a couple of years ago.

Aside from that though, there are a lot of little things in there that add up to a pretty handy kit of tools. The multi-text is one, directional light parameter, some of the new render elements, etc. I think the bi-directional path tracers is also going to be pretty cool when it comes along a bit more.

I can empathize with your viewpoint, but I really think that if you update you'll find it was worth it before too long. Just my .02 of course.

b
              ps The multi-sub tex does not yet offer colour variations of a single map - for that you want the multi-tex map from Suurland and Bercon. This one does variations via multiple maps in a single slot. Both are useful, and it would be awesome to combine the functions into the Vray multi-sub texture.
              Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
              e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

in our quite busy pipeline, its a bit risky to be an early adopter, so when it comes to us, ill probably wait a bit more before hoping onto the 2.0 wagon
                Martin
                http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

Originally posted by PIXELBOX_SRO View Post
                  in our quite busy pipeline, its a bit risky to be an early adopter, so when it comes to us, ill probably wait a bit more before hoping onto the 2.0 wagon
                  Same here.
                  Definitely upgrading, but not yet.
                  Lasse Kilpia
                  VFX Artist
                  Post Control Helsinki

Comment

I upgraded, and the only thing so far that amazed me is the vraylightmeter, such a great tool
                    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Arch Pedro A. Solano
                    "Save the irradiance map, save the render"
                    Vray 3.10.03|3DMax 2011 x64|Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @3.4GHz|16GB Ram|Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
                    Follow us on facebook
                    Visit us on PSolano

Comment

I think this is the same tool (from 3ds max 6-11), but with less option.

LINK

www.francescolegrenzi.com

VRay - THE COMPLETE GUIDE - The book
                      Corona - THE COMPLETE GUIDE - The book

--- FACEBOOK ---

Comment

Working...
                      X