Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ozone 5 now released, works with VRay - Jipeeee!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ozone 5 now released, works with VRay - Jipeeee!!!

I've been waiting for this one for a while and now it's finally here:
    http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/ozone/ozone_5.0/

It's only US$295
    ...the sucky part is that it's US$95 per render node

What you guys think?
    Last edited by Morne; 01-02-2011, 05:17 AM.
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Looks nice.

Comment

Isn't that a Atmosphere module of Vue 9 xStream ? ah?
      Is it better than Dreamscape ?
      :: twitter :: Portfolio :: My 3D Products :: ...and ::

Comment

Interesting but so far I haven't heard much good about the integration of Vue to 3DS Max so I'm skeptic about their other products also. If someone has first hand experience on how this really works with Vray, please chime in Registered to their Ozone forum just to find out I'm still not given access if I don't already own Ozone.
        Ville Kiuru
        www.flavors.me/vkiuru

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of that policy. I bought vue 5 or 6 a few years back only to discover when I got access to the forum the amount of people complaining about serious problems with it.

Comment

I got this yesterday and have been playing around with it, nothing too in depth at the moment,
            just seeing if it integrates in to my workflow and I have to say that so far it does look promising.

I use linear workflow in all my scenes, with vray physical camera and sun and I render to the vray
            frame buffer. Once I set up the Ozone gamma settings to match my max gamma settings it was
            pretty much plain sailing, the scene simply rendered how I would expect it too without Ozone, only
            this time I had a very nice sky with clouds etc in it.

I did notice a few things, the light cache took longer to calculate and the sky took longer to render,
            which was expected, and also at render time Ozone created its own camera in the same position as
            the Vray Physical camera, although the render was done through the Vray Physical camera, so this
            was not a problem.

Like I said, it's early days, and I've only really looked at how Ozone fits in to my workflow but it does
            look promising.

see ya
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SteveC View Post
              I got this yesterday and have been playing around with it, nothing too in depth at the moment,
              just seeing if it integrates in to my workflow and I have to say that so far it does look promising.

I use linear workflow in all my scenes, with vray physical camera and sun and I render to the vray
              frame buffer. Once I set up the Ozone gamma settings to match my max gamma settings it was
              pretty much plain sailing, the scene simply rendered how I would expect it too without Ozone, only
              this time I had a very nice sky with clouds etc in it.

I did notice a few things, the light cache took longer to calculate and the sky took longer to render,
              which was expected, and also at render time Ozone created its own camera in the same position as
              the Vray Physical camera, although the render was done through the Vray Physical camera, so this
              was not a problem.

Like I said, it's early days, and I've only really looked at how Ozone fits in to my workflow but it does
              look promising.

see ya
              Steve
              Thanks for your input! Would love to see some examples rendered and some info on render time differences if you have the time. Does this thing only alter the "background" or does it create true atmospheric effects for example can objects be inside or partially inside the cloud layers, like mountain tops etc?
              Ville Kiuru
              www.flavors.me/vkiuru

Comment

Hi yyk,

I'll sort out some test renders when I get time and post the time differences.Very interesting
                question about how the pluggin interacts with elements in the scene, this is something else
                I'll have a look at.

When you look at the scene in the viewport you dont actually see anything that represents
                the clouds etc, all you get is the direct light that ozone creates to represent the sun, which
                I just delete and use the Vray sun. In the atmosphere editor you can adjust many things like

cloud base
                height of the actual cloud itself
                clouds opacity
                cloud density
                cover
                sharpness
                feathers
                detail
                altitude variation
                Ambient light
                Shadow density

Just looking at what adjustments can be made I would pretty much expect it to
                interact with scene elements, it would be a major flaw if it didn't.

There is actually a hell of a lot that this plugin seems to be able to do, such as
                Fog
                Haze
                God rays
                Stars (not sure what this is unless it literally means stars for night views)
                Rainbows
                Ice Rings (again not to sure what this is, need to read the manual a bit more)
                Lens flares

I would be mega impressed if all these work with Vray. I could email you the
                pdf manual if you like, to give you a better idea of what the potential is and
                when I get chance I'll upload some test renders to check out just how interactive
                it is with scenes.

Steve

Comment

Hi Steve
                  Looking forward to some of your test renders!
                  Kind Regards,
                  Morne

Comment

Originally posted by SteveC View Post
                    Hi yyk,

I'll sort out some test renders when I get time and post the time differences.Very interesting
                    question about how the pluggin interacts with elements in the scene, this is something else
                    I'll have a look at.

When you look at the scene in the viewport you dont actually see anything that represents
                    the clouds etc, all you get is the direct light that ozone creates to represent the sun, which
                    I just delete and use the Vray sun. In the atmosphere editor you can adjust many things like

cloud base
                    height of the actual cloud itself
                    clouds opacity
                    cloud density
                    cover
                    sharpness
                    feathers
                    detail
                    altitude variation
                    Ambient light
                    Shadow density

Just looking at what adjustments can be made I would pretty much expect it to
                    interact with scene elements, it would be a major flaw if it didn't.

There is actually a hell of a lot that this plugin seems to be able to do, such as
                    Fog
                    Haze
                    God rays
                    Stars (not sure what this is unless it literally means stars for night views)
                    Rainbows
                    Ice Rings (again not to sure what this is, need to read the manual a bit more)
                    Lens flares

I would be mega impressed if all these work with Vray. I could email you the
                    pdf manual if you like, to give you a better idea of what the potential is and
                    when I get chance I'll upload some test renders to check out just how interactive
                    it is with scenes.

Steve
                    Thanks again for your time, indeed, if all the features work right away this will prove pretty handy I think. I need something like this for a future project, and since it's not that expensive and I've got some free time tonight and tomorrow I decided to buy it. I'll post my first impressions later!
                    Ville Kiuru
                    www.flavors.me/vkiuru

Comment

I've managed to have another look at ozone and done a few test renders
                      to guage some render times.

Below is the basic test scene with the following settings

render size 1280x720, IR map=high, LC= 1000 all other settings at default,
                      camera set up using sunny 16 rule, Vray sun and rendered to Vray frame buffer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Base Scene.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	324.0 KB
ID:	843772

IR+LC render time= 1' 12" Image render time= 26"

The next scene uses exactly the same setting as above but now incorporates
                      the Daylight Atmosphere at default settings.

Name:	Base Scene_Daytime.jpg
Size:	340.8 KB
ID:	843774

IR+LC render time= 5' 42" Image render time= 4' 24"

The next scene again uses exactly the same settings as the base scene but now
                      incorporates the Daylight Atmosphere with small cumulus clouds.

Name:	Base Scene_Daytime_sml cumulus.jpg
Size:	465.3 KB
ID:	843773

IR+LC render time= 4' 29" Image render time= 9' 40"

The renders were all done with default settings in the atmosphere , however with
                      the amount of tweaking that is available to the clouds, haze, fog etc I recon these
                      times can be brought down quiet nicely to an acceptable level.

Next time I'll do some tests to see how the atmospheres interact with structures
                      that may protrude in to them and also have a look at some of the other effects
                      available like the raindow, lens flares, god rays etc.

Hope this helps.

See ya
                      Steve

Comment

hmm maybe because you were using mostly defaults, but the clouds doesnt seem to fit the scene, I mean "background" seems too dark
                        Kind Regards,
                        Morne

Comment

Steve. How come the lighting on the clouds doesn't match the lighting of your scene? I'm specifically thinking about the direction.
                          Signing out,
                          Christian

Comment

Made some tests but the manual isn't too specific regarding the workflow with Vray. The lighting does seem a bit "off" in my tests too but my guess is it's got something to do with the fog. Ozone gamma setting didn't seem to have any effect on the rendered image, however switching Vray to gamma 1.0 produced more contrasted and appealing skies. I'd love to access their forum and study the topics there but am still unable to register correctly The rendertimes varied from minutes to twenty minutes on my i7 rig, depending on what sky I was using. A bit busy at work atm but will propably do more tests tomorrow..
                            Ville Kiuru
                            www.flavors.me/vkiuru

Comment

Hi Trixian,

I think its because when you create an atmosphere, the atmosphere creates two things in your scene,
                              one is a direct light and one is a camera. Although these don't appear to be used to view your scene
                              or illuminate it (I'm using the Vray phys camera and Vray sunlight), I believe the direct light is used to
                              illuminate components of the atmosphere, such as the clouds etc.

The location, direction and azimuth of the direct light created by the atmosphere pluggin is editable,
                              which I didn't adjust for the test renders, so when I get a chance I'll do another quick test render
                              and post it on here.

see ya
                              steve

Update, just done another couple of small test renders to confirm the the atmosphere direct light
                              affects the atmosphere clouds, which it does, so its a case of adjusting the atmosphere lights
                              direction and azimuth to suite your Vray sun.
                              Last edited by SteveC; 03-02-2011, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X