Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know how to get the last rendered frame out of VRay using maxscript?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know how to get the last rendered frame out of VRay using maxscript?

I am looking for the analogous of getLastRenderedImage().

I found showLastVFB() in the Vray docs but that just displays the image. I want to work with the actual bitmap.

I've written a little script that creates thumbnails of renderings but, for now, it only works when using the max framebuffer.

Thanks,
    Steve Burke
    www.burkestudios.com

For now this can only be done from C++; MaxScript support for this is on the "to do" list.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Ah, OK. Thanks for the information Vlado.
      Steve Burke
      www.burkestudios.com

Comment

If you need it urgently, I guess I can put together a simple .dlx file that adds a MaxScript command to do that.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

I can't say it is urgent but I would definitely use it if you made it. The script I made automatically creates thumbnails of the last rendered frame and then applies a few simple effects (grid overlay, mirroring in x, and posterization) to help judge the quality of the image. I'm giving the script away and I figured it might be useful for the people here but I hit a snag with the V-Ray frame buffer. If I could grab a frame from the V-Ray RT window after major updates that would be great as well. Anyway, I very much appreciate anything you can do and understand if this isn't something that can be done right away. I don't have any impending deadlines resting on this or anything; it's just a side project.
          Steve Burke
          www.burkestudios.com

Comment

There is already access to the V-Ray RT window, as well as a MaxScript callback that is called when the image is updated - take a look at the V-Ray RT preview script for an example (it's called vrayrtutils.ms in the scripts/startup folder of 3ds Max).

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up.
              Steve Burke
              www.burkestudios.com

Comment

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find the file vrayrtutils.ms anywhere on my machine so I am assuming this is exclusive to VRay 2. I'll have to revisit this when I make the upgrade from 1.5.
                Steve Burke
                www.burkestudios.com

Comment

No, I posted the script for V-Ray RT 1.5 SP2 as well here on the forum...

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

I posted the finished script to scriptspot today.

It's called Automat Image Tools. Just a simple little script but does a nice job of helping to evaluate renders. It works perfectly with max frame buffer and V-Ray RT. I'll add support for the VFB if that every becomes accessible via maxscript.

Here is the link:

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/sc...at-image-tools
                    Steve Burke
                    www.burkestudios.com

Comment

maxscript access to the regular vr frame buffer would still be great..

Comment

Working...
                      X