Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3ds Max 2012 Info here!

http://area.autodesk.com/3dsmax2012

EDIT: Also look at Ken's blog here: http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/ken/3...2012_announced

What you think, worth the subscription?

Sounds cool:
    Nitrous Accelerated Graphics Core: Enjoy dramatic improvements in performance and visual quality in the viewport.
    Enhanced UVW Unwrapping: Create better UVW maps in less time, with a new mapping method.
    Sculpting and Painting Enhancements: Enjoy greater control over brushstrokes and their effects, with new Conform, Transform, and Constrain-to-Spline brushes.
    Caddy Improvements: The Caddy in-canvas UI offers better usability, with a more predictable contextual UI location, quicker interaction, and default behavior which does not occlude the artist’s selection.

So much for removing the caddies
    Last edited by Morne; 01-03-2011, 11:04 PM. Reason: added link to Ken's blog
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

I'm quite interested in real time reflections

Question is, can Vray SUPPORT IT?!
    CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

They are cube-mapped reflections (same as you get with Quicksilver - so no planar or glossy reflections) and reflections of the environment map. The VRayMtl materials will support them, if this is what you mean.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Uh, ok then it sux and nvm.

From other hand any chance someday well see real time flat ray-traced reflection ? Or anything similar ?

Comment

Those are all nifty features. But these days stability and performance are top of my Max wish list.

Comment

Originally posted by PixelJockey View Post
            Those are all nifty features. But these days stability and performance are top of my Max wish list.
            Had this exact conversation this morning. If autodesk came out and said no new features in Max 2012, but we've optimised, speed up, increased stability, fixed legacy bugs and issues (caddys). I dont think anyone would complain.
            James Hall
            Technical Director
            New Zealand
            www.jhall.nz

Comment

The substance materials look pretty cool. I'm assuming vray will be compatible
              Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by stevesideas View Post
                I'm assuming vray will be compatible
                Yep, substances work fine with V-Ray.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Also look at Ken's Blog:
                  http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/ken/3...2012_announced
                  Kind Regards,
                  Morne

Comment

Are you KIDDING!

I was pretty excited untill I saw this post by Ken:

re: cores
                    I'm just going to say that what is new is the following:
                    - each viewport get's a thread (a core if you have multiple cores)
                    - the UI is a separate thread from the viewports

Yes, the viewport is DirectX 9 and is GPU accelerated. We kept DX9 because of a dependency around mental mill compiler and the fear of DX11 not being totally ready for us. There are also some CPU-related optimizations that occur, but I don't know how much they load the CPU. Every setup will show different results.
                    Kind Regards,
                    Morne

Comment

i don't want about a viewport wich show us shadow, AO, reflection and so else since we already have better with vray rt in active shade mode.
                      i prefer a lot to have a faster viewport with textures, shading and wireframe . the 3DSMAX one is the slowless i know comparing to maya and modo .

the sculting,painting, uvw-ing and caddy improvement are welcome
                      GHiOM = Guillaume Gaillard
                      freelance 3D artist
                      www.ghiom.com

Comment

Originally posted by DVP3D View Post
                        I was pretty excited untill I saw this post by Ken:

re: cores
                        I'm just going to say that what is new is the following:
                        - each viewport get's a thread (a core if you have multiple cores)
                        - the UI is a separate thread from the viewports

Yes, the viewport is DirectX 9 and is GPU accelerated. We kept DX9 because of a dependency around mental mill compiler and the fear of DX11 not being totally ready for us. There are also some CPU-related optimizations that occur, but I don't know how much they load the CPU. Every setup will show different results.

Umh... U prefer 1 CPU per 4 viewports or 4 cpu per 4 viewports? :P

Comment

EDIT: Deleted double post
                          Kind Regards,
                          Morne

Comment

If you have 8 cores, then cores are wasted

Also, if you maximise your view, then it still uses 1 core for that 1 view
                            Kind Regards,
                            Morne

Comment

Well you cannot really multithread a single view efficiently i would guess...currently you would have all in one thread including the GUI if i am not mistaken...

Comment

Working...
                              X