Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do I suck so badly?!or this market will eat you alive if you're not SPECTACULAR!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do I suck so badly?!or this market will eat you alive if you're not SPECTACULAR!

Sorry I need to vent.
    Have you ever been offered to do a project but first you had to start in small "competition" against other 3d artists and in 7 days provide client with "sketches" here are few exact quotes:

"We would like to ask if you can quickly make early sketch visualization of the request images (don't bother including to much details)"
    "*** Sketch delivery ***
    - Deadline: 3. March
    - Just models and lighting, not materials needed at this stage."

and what's even more interesting the for final viz after another 7 days they would required:
    "- Good quality needed, but highly realistic not necessary"

I guess you guys are aware of rule: SPEED QUALITY PRICE and you can choose only two right?
    I assumed form what they wrote they chose SPEED and PRICE, right?

So I had 7 days for "sketches" this is what I did in 4 days and send it before deadline to show that I can do speed for low price:

Basically there was exterior to model and two interiors:

Their answer after all this was:

"We found you price and speed good, but unfortunately the decisions fell on another artist based on the lighting and modeling quality."

And the answer :
    "We found you price and speed good, but unfortunately the decisions fell on another artist based on the lighting and modeling quality."
    Last edited by lukx; 05-03-2011, 01:45 AM.
    Luke Szeflinski
    :: www.lukx.com cgi

Heya

I guess they wanted to do it the High-standard way. Where u get 20 agents reping photographers biding on 1 job and they all do preproduction to get it.... Weird to see that in VIZ at this level lol... Either way I think ur work is just fine for the time they give u but well... GL next time !
    CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

I asked them to show me the work they chose:

Luke Szeflinski

Comment

Wow... total lack of creativity and knowledge of 3d... run mate ruuunn !!!

I guess they were looking for plain/straight viz and not something special :/

Comment

Ok so who was that ? It's clearly Vray work so the person might be here on forum
          Luke Szeflinski

Comment

Errr I'm not saying the artist ! Its the client... They just wanted straight presentation viz and that what they pick... Maybe next time ask what kind of look they are looking for...

The artist did it just fine I guess.. but thats more like 1 day job

Comment

Originally posted by DADAL View Post
              Errr I'm not saying the artist ! Its the client... They just wanted straight presentation viz and that what they pick... Maybe next time ask what kind of look they are looking for...

The artist did it just fine I guess.. but thats more like 1 day job
              those words rings in my ears:

I just can't see where my work lacks compared to the one that won in lighting and modeling quality?

The best thing is this TV in front of the window

Those were only "sketches" after that you have another 7 days to produce finals.
              Last edited by lukx; 05-03-2011, 05:03 AM.
              Luke Szeflinski

Comment

To be honest there's a lot of clients that don't actually have the design sense to make a proper judgement on work so you could have had a lucky escape there! There's not much wrong with what you've done, especially considering the time you had to do it. It could be the design treatment of the wireframe overlay was something the clients had seen before and thought was "cool" so they went with that (even though they'll probably end up dropping it for the final thing anyway). I'd personally never bother doing free pitching for work unless it would only take a very short amount of time to make since you could be either working on paid work, working on things you feel represent you better or getting some well needed rest.

This set of emails might give you some insight - http://www.27bslash6.com/bob.html

Comment

Sound to me more like you (and a bunch of other guys) got suckered into doing the work for free (for the "compitition" you understand). Client got a whole bunch of visuals to show his client - for free
                  Kind Regards,
                  Morne

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
                    To be honest there's a lot of clients that don't actually have the design sense to make a proper judgement on work so you could have had a lucky escape there! There's not much wrong with what you've done, especially considering the time you had to do it. It could be the design treatment of the wireframe overlay was something the clients had seen before and thought was "cool" so they went with that (even though they'll probably end up dropping it for the final thing anyway). I'd personally never bother doing free pitching for work unless it would only take a very short amount of time to make since you could be either working on paid work, working on things you feel represent you better or getting some well needed rest.

This set of emails might give you some insight - http://www.27bslash6.com/bob.html
                    Lol EPIC. Love it hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by DVP3D View Post
                      Sound to me more like you (and a bunch of other guys) got suckered into doing the work for free (for the "compitition" you understand). Client got a whole bunch of visuals to show his client - for free
                      well it wasn't toally for free, thay said they will pay 10% of final price (so in my case it was 60 euro .
                      Regarding what joconnell said about not doing free pitching.. I don't have this comfort. I recently lost my fulltime 3d job so now I'm looking for any kind of freelance work and so far whatever I got ends up like this project .
                      Luke Szeflinski

Comment

Hmmmm... sounds strange to me. I get hired based on my portfolio and the feel I bring. I wouldn't have taken the bait.
                        Bobby Parker
                        www.bobby-parker.com
                        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

well maybe the emergency light should turn on in my head when I sent them drafts with watermark on it and they asked me to remove it to show client ... but when you're desperate ...
                          Last edited by lukx; 05-03-2011, 09:42 AM.
                          Luke Szeflinski

Comment

I get e-mails all the time asking for a quote, when actually it is someone else wanting to know what I would charge for a project they are trying to get.
                            Bobby Parker
                            www.bobby-parker.com
                            e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                            phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                            • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                            • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                            • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by lukx View Post
                              well maybe the emergency light should turn on in my head when I sent them drafts with watermark on it and they asked me to remove it to show client ... but when you're desperate ...
                              I feel for you Lukx....I know what it's like to be desperate to get work to simply put enough food on the table for the family....that's no fun at all.
                              Like you said...You do what you need to.

I do agree with the other guys in that so called competition for work is generally a waste of time.....you would be better off working for free on your on portfolio.

Being successfull in our business is all about contacts.....if you have enough contacts you will get enough work regardsless of your quality/Price.
                              But saying that if two companies are the same price then Quality is the ONLY thing separating them.....that's when being more experienced/talented gets you the job over others.
                              IMO quality is the most important thing.......I focused on this heavily & it has kept me working NON-STOP for the last 2 1/2 years as a freelancer.
                              You also need to have clients who appreciate quality if that is the path you choose....some simply don't care about quality ..only Price

Hope this Helps

Comment

Working...
                              X