• Show
Clear All

• Modelling Question

Click image for larger version

Name:	01.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	872731
    I modeled this arch and now I want to scale it.
    But when I scale it, the width of the arch gets larger too. (see image below)
    I want to be able to scale the width of the arch. (as in 3rd image)
    I tried with the Local Coordinate System and working pivots but couldn't make.

Is it possible to make this?

Name:	02a.jpg
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	872730

Name:	02.jpg
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	872732
    for my blog and tutorials:
    www.alfasmyrna.com

Depending on how it was made (if each brick was modelled individually as an instance) you could either put an ffd on one brick, move the outer points back in towards the arch and then copy that ffd to the other bricks. Otherwise if you select all of the arch, put a volume select on all of them in one go set to vertex mode with a cylinder as the shape you can select all of the vertices in the models except for the outer row. Turn on the invert option in the volume select and then you'll only have the outer vertices selected. Next turn on soft select in the volume mod so your selection gradually falls off into the inner edges of the arch and then put on an xform modifier. You can use your xform to scale and move only the outer edges and the soft select in the volume select will make sure your scale softly fades in!

Comment

you could try using a soft selection on the top surface (outer circumference), with the correct distance in ss you should be able to just scale outer circumference and not effect the inner circumference. Bit of a fudge but should work.
      Simon

.... . .-.. .--. .-.-.- .--. .-.. . .- ... . ... . -. -.. -.-. .... --- -.-. --- .-.. .- - .
      I need a new signature
      --
      Max2017.1 | Vray 3.70.01| win11
      ASUS Z790PLUS | i9 13900K | 64Gb RAM | Geforce GTX4070Ti

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
        Depending on how it was made (if each brick was modelled individually as an instance) you could either put an ffd on one brick, move the outer points back in towards the arch and then copy that ffd to the other bricks. Otherwise if you select all of the arch, put a volume select on all of them in one go set to vertex mode with a cylinder as the shape you can select all of the vertices in the models except for the outer row. Turn on the invert option in the volume select and then you'll only have the outer vertices selected. Next turn on soft select in the volume mod so your selection gradually falls off into the inner edges of the arch and then put on an xform modifier. You can use your xform to scale and move only the outer edges and the soft select in the volume select will make sure your scale softly fades in!
        pipped me...just
        Simon

.... . .-.. .--. .-.-.- .--. .-.. . .- ... . ... . -. -.. -.-. .... --- -.-. --- .-.. .- - .
        I need a new signature
        --
        Max2017.1 | Vray 3.70.01| win11
        ASUS Z790PLUS | i9 13900K | 64Gb RAM | Geforce GTX4070Ti

Comment

I'm on notice that I've got competition though

Always fun to see how other people do things either way too, there's so many different approaches in max!

Comment

Thanks a lot guys for this useful methods.
            They solve my problem and I am very happy.
            for my blog and tutorials:
            www.alfasmyrna.com

Comment

Working...
            X