No announcement yet.

AMD Phenom or i7 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corsair F80 is not so expensive. Just ony 140 euro.
    Now, on my C: drive I've 50 GB. Usual software. but IMO, the best cost/capacity is the F120 (180 euro). The F240 is about 380 euro. But I don't need it.
    www.francescolegrenzi.com

VRay - THE COMPLETE GUIDE - The book
    Corona - THE COMPLETE GUIDE - The book

--- FACEBOOK ---

Comment

Just a few quick tips for those running SSDs:

The freeware CCleaner has an option to "wipe free space" that was specifically created as a maintenance tool for SSDs. It will help with the issues described by super gnu where files that are deleted or routinely overwritten (think swap or paging files) cause index clutter.

Intel also has a proprietary software for SSD optimization that is a similar maintenance tool. The newest iterations of this tool even include a feature to check for common windows settings that can rob SSD performance. I use this one about once a month or so whereas I use the CCleaner 'wipe free space' at least once a week.

As for the debate between Phenom and i7...all of your regrets in getting a little spendy with an i7 will disappear the first time you work with it. Cannot say that the same satisfaction wouldn't come from building a phenom, but the i7 is well proven, and you have a lot of peer support with it in the GFX community.
      Ben Steinert
      pb2ae.com

Comment

Finally got my upgraded workstation at home up and running with a SSD and an i7 970 chip. Running like a champ, very pleased with it. The SSD shaved a minute off my boot up time

Thanks guys for the tips on maintaining the SSDs. I'll try to remember that when I notice things have slowed down.
        David M. Foster

Comment

no doubt your redundant raid array / backup solution will have you less worried about your speedy ssd working drive failing. The SSD's are likely more reliable anyway with no moving parts.
          Last edited by werticus; 05-04-2011, 07:27 AM.
          WerT
          www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

Beestee,

Intel also has a proprietary software for SSD optimization that is a similar maintenance tool. The newest iterations of this tool even include a feature to check for common windows settings that can rob SSD performance. I use this one about once a month or so whereas I use the CCleaner 'wipe free space' at least once a week.

What's this tool called? I've looked for it and can't find it.

-Colin
            Colin Senner

Comment

Intel SSD Toolbox:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...&DwnldID=18455
              Ben Steinert
              pb2ae.com

Comment

Working...
              X