Position problem (script help?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Position problem (script help?)

I have a long narrow cylinder -a beam, basically. It pivots at it's base, moves around, and it changes size according to some controller stuff that I have going on.

I want to attach a sphere to the middle of the beam, but this must stay in the middle of it while it changes length.

Anyone have a clue how to solve this?

Thanks!
    - Geoff

There are about 5 or 6 ways I can think to tackle this off the top of my head but I'm waiting on some monster renders so can't test any of them right now.

I'd look at creating a couple of point helpers, aligning them to the top & bottom of the cylinder & then assigning a script controller to link them to one of the verts.

Something like this:

"in coordsys world getVert $Cylinder xxx"

Where xxx is the number of the vert. Then assign a Pos Contraint controller to the Sphere & pick the two dummies as targets.

If you need the sphere to rotate with the cylinder then you'll need to use a lookat in the rotation and point it toward one of the dummies.

There is bound to be a more elegant solution than this but off the top of my head, it should work.

Good luck!
    MDI Digital
    moonjam

Comment

if the cylinder has its scale or length animated, rather than having the end vertices animated, you could use the attachment constraint, and pick a face in the centre of your cylinder. that should stick it to one place on the cylinder. maybe having a few length divisions on the cylinder might help with placement.. then when you scale or adjust length, the central faces should stay central, and therefore the sphere.

Comment

Working...
      X