Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who is using tablet exclusively (even for modeling) ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who is using tablet exclusively (even for modeling) ?

Does anyone here uses tablet exclusively ? Just got rid of mouse ? And if so how do you manage to live without mouse wheel zoom in 3dsmax?
    Luke Szeflinski
    :: www.lukx.com cgi

Been using a tablet exclusively (more or less) for something like ten years or so and I actually fumble around in max/maya/zbrush if I'm not using a tablet. I do keep a wireless mouse nearby that I use for web surfing on occasion.

Make sure you map your pen so that the third button is set to middle-click, by default, Wacom pens are set to double-click with this third button option. Once you do this it is easy enough to get around in any program and, more than likely, you'll learn to type with a pen between your fingers.
    Steve Burke
    www.burkestudios.com

Comment

Im roling with wacom cintiq 21ux from ages now. The tablet slides for zoom works just fine. Once I got rid of addiction to wheel the tablet>mouse currently...
      CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

I'm not using mouse at all. Just using tablet for everything - Max, AE, PS, Firefox.
        Lasse Kilpia
        VFX Artist
        Post Control Helsinki

Comment

I did for some time, but there are issues with max and archicad..with all other apps it's fine.
          the issue i had with max: quad menu is a pain...the way of selecting objects in max by clicking on them, while being in move or rotate mode at the same time is a pain. I always moved stuff unintentionally.
          With archicad I can't use tab for cycling through objects under the cursor, because minimal movements of the pen would cancel the operation.
          Those two apps are made for mouse. Photoshop and all adobe apps work great though.
          Marc Lorenz
          ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
          www.marclorenz.com
          www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

Originally posted by DADAL View Post
            Im roling with wacom cintiq 21ux from ages now. The tablet slides for zoom works just fine. Once I got rid of addiction to wheel the tablet>mouse currently...
            ouch! cintiq 21 ... this must be nice tool
            Luke Szeflinski

Comment

I use on, but usually just as a huge mouse pad. How are you using it? With the mouse or the pen?
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com
              e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
              phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
              • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
              • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

It is. But there is one ''-'' in my case. Once I started using it (years ago) now I cant really use mouse... It fell like brick and clicking/moving is huge pain... Gotta spend like 1h just to get back to ''operational'' status on mouse from wacom... Any1 else experiencing it ?

Comment

I just curious how do your desk setup looks like... do you have extra two monitors plus cintiq or just one more ? what about keyboard? I guess it's hard to use cintiq and have keyboard on the side.
                  Luke Szeflinski

Comment

Pretty simple

Desk Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05968.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	515.2 KB
ID:	843916
                    Photo Studio behind Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05969.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	487.2 KB
ID:	843917
                    Its not the perfect set up on desk, but I just move 100% to Cintiq. Nothing beats it in comfort and quality of work. The LCD is only used for Color accuracy. Cintiq doesn't have the best lcd inside it unfortunately... :/

And thats it so far

ps. also working on one screen its a lot LESS tiering... (tire/not sure how to spell it o.o) When I had 2 lcd moving my eyes from 1 screen to another and searching for icons was a pain... back on 1 is a lot less problematic and allows me to work longer/better.
                    Last edited by Dariusz Makowski (Dadal); 20-03-2011, 12:08 PM.

Comment

i use a wacom intuos 3, got the same selecting issues as plastic mentioned, but you get used to not have transforms active when selecting. the transition from mouse to pen was smooth, i found myself typing with a pen between my fingers in no time

..only biiiig problem is win 7 and adobe products (and composite 2011), once you start them, the pen response laaaaags, bigtime, have to use the old mouse then. anyone else having these issues? i wrote wacom about it, the support was pretty good, but unfortunately didn't heelp much....

Comment

Originally posted by kimgar View Post
                        i use a wacom intuos 3, got the same selecting issues as plastic mentioned, but you get used to not have transforms active when selecting. the transition from mouse to pen was smooth, i found myself typing with a pen between my fingers in no time

..only biiiig problem is win 7 and adobe products (and composite 2011), once you start them, the pen response laaaaags, bigtime, have to use the old mouse then. anyone else having these issues? i wrote wacom about it, the support was pretty good, but unfortunately didn't heelp much....
                        its know issue and easy to fix

Go to start>type msconfig.exe and dissabole in every tap every simple tablet alike process by windows/except wacom.

Also go and disable any other windows based tablet input and control system...

Its about 15 min work to find them all, once u do it u are FREEEEEEE from lags

Comment

this is what I did for my wacom and windows 7:

* Windows 7 x64 en; Wacom driver 6.1.5-3
                          * CP > Pen and Touch > Flicks is unchecked
                          * Service "Tablet PC Input Service" is deactivated
                          * CP > Pen and Touch > Pen Options: "Press and Hold" is disabled
                          * CP > Programs and Features > "Turn Windows Features on and off" has "Tablet PC components" checked.

* Open Local Group Policy Editor: Run... gpedit.msc
                          * Navigate to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Tablet PC > Cursor
                          * Enable "Turn off pen feedback"
                          Luke Szeflinski

Comment

Thanks for the tips, had those problems in win7, but not on every boot.
                            Using wacom in max is much faster then a mouse.
                            I often ask myself what it is exactly that makes it faster to work with,
                            but everyone i talked about using tablets agreed that it speeds up your work.

Kind of like the advantage you get in a first person shooter when you use a mouse instead of a gamepad.
                            Reflect, repent and reboot.
                            Order shall return.

Comment

ah, fantastic! thanks for all the tips on the lag issue, i think i have been through all of these so many times i've lost track of what i did and didn't do, so it's great have it all summed up like this, now let's see...

Comment

Working...
                              X