just tried solidrocks demo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just tried solidrocks demo

so ive been using vray since onbe of the first beta versions, but having heard people talking about solidrocks recently i decided to download the demo, just to see how my tweaked rendertimes compare to its presets..

have to say from a rendertime point of view, its quite impressive.. thankfully it didnt quite beat my times, and there were a few areas that i had cleaned up that it didnt fix (a grainy glossy wood behind glass etc..)

however, i took a look at the settings it was using in vray, and ive never seen settings like it..

imap set to 12 subdivisions (on ultra quality!)
    adaptive amount 0.5675
    min samples 299
    subdiv multiplier 10

lightcache pre-filter set to 117

it definitely seems to get in there and fiddle with every setting.. even the bucket aspect ratio was changed (i never did that before.. does it help?)

now i cant argue that it did produce an image, that with just a bit more tweaking would work very well.. but it certainly sets up vray in a way im unfamiliar with.

Those settings look very wrong to me.
    Almost like random numbers.
    Maybe the demo mode prevents you from seeing what it really does to the settings?
    Reflect, repent and reboot.
    Order shall return.

Comment

hmm i shall test.. its left those settings in there when i saved the file so lets see how it renders./

Comment

ok well unless solidrocks is somehow embedded into my file and is still monkeying with settings in the background.. i reopened file, with same settings still selected, and it still renders fine (sample distribution in imap is a bit heavy in low detail areas, but not bad..)

it obviously doesnt think like a human

Comment

Demo wont let u save settings.

And yea solid rocks do change everything and put crazy numbers. But it works. I cut renders from 10h to 6h with it. Then I customized it even more and ended up with my settings and 2h-3h render times lol.
          CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

im not sure about not letting you save settings? i saved the file and reopened the vray settings were still there... solidrocks not open...

Comment

in fact, solidrocks tends to turn the setting way too high, so as DADAL said, good to use it, but then tweak yourself
              Martin
              http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

Working...
              X