Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

worth replacing a GTX285 with Quadro 4000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worth replacing a GTX285 with Quadro 4000?

With the exchange rate quite in favour of us aussies, I thought it might be a good opportunity to do a little hardware reshuffle.

I currently run the GTX285 and was considering swapping this out for a quadro 4000. Has anyone made a similar jump and experienced a much better viewport smoothness/framerate from the quadro? I'm usually using between 3-6mil poly scenes that usually have a lots of individual objects. I understand that from an RT point of view I won't be getting a HUGE jump - so i plan on building a dedicated GTX xx.. variant machine for that.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has any opinions on the whole 'are quadros worth it?' or perhaps even ATi as an option?

Thanks!

According to this post, the Quadro 4000's are based on technology from 2006. This makes me think it would be best to look for a different card.
    http://forums.cgarchitect.com/65777-...tml#post330558

Comment

According to some articles I've read a while back (cant find it), the 285gtx would still be the best card to use as far as Max viewport performance is concerned. Nitrous wasnt out back then so it might be different now. But I would hold on to it, at least until the next crops of cards show some significant improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by Franx View Post
        According to some articles I've read a while back (cant find it), the 285gtx would still be the best card to use as far as Max viewport performance is concerned. Nitrous wasnt out back then so it might be different now. But I would hold on to it, at least until the next crops of cards show some significant improvements.
        wow really? the GTX285 would be comparable to a Quadro 4000 (fermi) ? I'm using mainly in shaded mode and shaded with edges displayed.

Comment

Working...
        X