Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• substance

Howdy-

I have been playing with substance materials, thinking they might be the cat meow, but I am getting these really bad tiling textures. I purchased some substance seeds form Turbosquid, but things are not working like I thought they would. Has anybody had any success with them?
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

nope, they are really not the miracle for endless-large-never-repeating seamless textures... they tile very ugly as you said. tried it too and didn´t think they were really good for architectural visualization, more for the games people probably? we will try them from time to time but stick to our old custom materials and tricks for the time being.

best regards,

christoph.

christoph koehler
    -----------------------------------------------------
    cy architecturevisualization.
    www.cy-architecture.com
    -----------------------------------------------------
    visit us on facebook!
    www.facebook.com/cyarchitecturevisualization

Comment

At first, I thought it was something that automatically derived bump, specular, normal etc maps from a bitmap image... could have been useful...
      Like mentionned, they really dont make the grade for archviz. Promising concept, just not flexible enough.

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
        Howdy-

I have been playing with substance materials, thinking they might be the cat meow, but I am getting these really bad tiling textures. I purchased some substance seeds form Turbosquid, but things are not working like I thought they would. Has anybody had any success with them?
        Try DarkTree - Simbiont Materials Bobby!! Might just be what you're looking for.

Comment

I'l check it out 3DMK, thanks.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

It actually does. It isn't initiative, but it creates all the materials

Originally posted by Franx View Post
            At first, I thought it was something that automatically derived bump, specular, normal etc maps from a bitmap image... could have been useful...
            Like mentionned, they really dont make the grade for archviz. Promising concept, just not flexible enough.
            Last edited by glorybound; 01-08-2011, 12:58 PM.
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
              It actually does. It isn't initiative, but it creates all the makes.
              Not quite. They're made up of distinct channels, just like conventionnal materials. If you want to create your own substance materials, which is absolutely essential imho, you have to buy the Substance Designer (990$) or Substance Designer Studio (2990$) application from Allergorithmic. So you still have to build the different maps yourself. All the Substance mat seem to be doing is blend between diffuse channels for different appearance effects and propagates tiling values to the other maps. Personnally, I'd think twice about laying that kind of dough on some tech that doesnt to be catching on that quickly...and from results that thus far are less than convincing...

Comment

Besides the tiling issues, how are you wiring them to Vraymtl? I can't figure out a good workflow that gives me the same thing I design in SD. If I use a "Standard" workflow in SD, I can get pretty close. Buy why bother, I can do that in Material Editor easily right now. I'm really intrigued by PBR but just can't figure out what to wire to what to get predictable results. Any tips?
                ------------------------------------------------------------
                V-Ray 6.20.06, 3ds Max (3D Studio thru Max 2025), GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Master Motherboard, Ryzen 9 3950x CPU, Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler, 128 GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 Ram, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD
                -----------------------------------------
                Autodesk Expert Elite Member
                ------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by 3DMK View Post
                  Try DarkTree - Simbiont Materials Bobby!! Might just be what you're looking for.
                  I need to find my old copy of Dark Tree in the black three ring binder... I think it is a diskette!

I wonder if they could look up their customers. Does DT still run on modern Windows?

Comment

Yeah, I've been having troubles myself with landscapes and castle walls. They need to look good close up as well as from far away with no noticeable tiling. The best I can do is create copies of the camera along its path for projecting bitmaps in different blended layers.
                    - Geoff

Comment

Have you tried multiple hi res maps, that you then blend using procedurals as masks? Usually gets you pretty close. But camera projections blended together are often a great method, since you can paint them easily.

Comment

Yes, I do that sometimes and it worked great on a project I finished up in September. But for some reason I wasn't able to make it look nice on my current project.
                        - Geoff

Comment

Did anyone try normal map in 3ds Max with Allegorithmic's Bitmap2Material?
                          https://vimeo.com/89972078

It seems like you could use it in most cases instead of a VrayDisplacementMod. no?
                          From all the allegorithmic products, this one seems to be more in tune with non gaming stuff.

Thanks.
                          Guido.

Comment

Working...
                          X