Lofting errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lofting errors

How do you guys get around stuff like this when lofting. I usually use lofts when working on swimming pools

---------------------------------------------------
    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
    stupid questions the forum can answer.

I have found sweep to work a little better
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

sweep does the same thing

Last edited by Da_elf; 19-08-2011, 08:33 AM.

MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with

Comment

I rebuild it by hand, which can be a royal pain in the a**
        Another way could be to extrude your spline, convert to polys, add a shell modifier whose depth is the size of your pool border, convert to polys, delete everything but the top faces and use that to build your border.
        There is a chance that it would cause the same problem but worth a try as it takes five minutes.
        Check my blog

Comment

Delete the verts on the spline object that I can see from the last picture. There's a lot of section knots there.
          Colin Senner

Comment

which verts? i need my splines verts to keep a curve

Comment

Yep, Colin is right. There are too many verts in that corner which is causing all of the problems.

For lofts, I tend to use the two verts at the corners of the arc and then use the bezier handles to do the rest. Then all you have to adjust is the subdivision amount of the loft. I am not sure of the terms used since I am not at a computer with max on it right at this moment.

The other thing that I do when I have these types of issues with tight corners is to make the spline be on the inside instead of the outside. I tend to get better results that way. Simply outline the spline will usually get me most of the way there.
              Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
              Midwest Studios

Comment

to be honest that corner is the easiest to fix. ive got two corners like this

Comment

Yep! That is the exact situation I was referring to. By putting the loft spline on the inside of the shape instead of the outside, the loft shape will not have to collapse into itself to make it around that tight corner.
                  Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
                  Midwest Studios

Comment

actually on the clients blueprints. the outer curve is supposed to come to a sharp corner but on the inside curve have the rounded corner. actually while i was spending time thinking how to do this i lost track of the big picture. those corners are actually going to be covered so you will never see them.

Comment

Working...
                    X