Server OS - Linux or Windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server OS - Linux or Windows?

I am interested in hearing what you guys are running as your server OS.
    Where I am now there is a Linux (ubuntu) server but its a massive pain in the arse trying to set things up on it and I am wondering whether switching to windows will make life easier or worse!
    Chris Jackson
    Shiftmedia
    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Using Server 2008 R2 here... not used Linux since I was at college over 10 years ago!

Comment

I tried to use a linux server for file storage, but an office full of windows machines nixed that idea after struggling with shares.

Comment

I don't really see an issue with servers beeing *nix vs. workstations beeing windows. Most serious filers will be linux anyways and provide access via
        samba or similar protocols. Setting them up is a different things. If you want to do it right then i doubt that Windows is really easier. If you just want
        to slap together a machine + raid and have a simple windows share, then maybe...but then Server seems like overkill anyways hehe.

Long story short, we're all windows. Authentication beeing AD, paired with Exchange for mail, Server systems are linux (partly proprietary).

Regards,
        Thorsten

Comment

Working...
        X