Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I create a stripey brick texture using BerconTile 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I create a stripey brick texture using BerconTile 3?

We use BerconTile 3 for creating our brick walls. We stick a MultiTexture in the tile colour slot with a bunch of individual brick textures. This creates good, non tiling walls.

However, we now need to create a stretcher-bond wall where each course of bricks alternates between yellow bricks and red bricks.

Any tips on how I could produce this with BerconTile 3?
    Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket
    ----------------------------------->
    http://www.blinkimage.com

You could put two different bercon maps (a red and yellow) in a mix map controlled by a gradient map set to solid (half black, half white) and set to the size of two courses.
    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Originally posted by dlparisi View Post
      You could put two different bercon maps (a red and yellow) in a mix map controlled by a gradient map set to solid (half black, half white) and set to the size of two courses.
      Good plan. Will give it a try.

The BerconTile website talks about using an image to 'vary' the colour of the bricks. I think this might have been version 2 though. I'm not sure how the Colour #2 slot comes into play with BerconTile version 3.
      Kind Regards,
      Richard Birket
      http://www.blinkimage.com

Comment

His site has tutorials for an older version. Do you know of any good information on the new version, which looks totally different.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com
        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Here is a thread from last year that ultimately made me understand the color variation feature of the BerconTiles map:

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...con-Tile/page3

To get the random colors, the key is the size in the noise map that is referenced under the variation feature.

I would use the same technique as dlparisi to accomplish the alternating rows, and then use the random technique within each BerconTile map to get a tiny bit of variation within the rows. I may even go a step further and embed all of that within the tiles slot of another BerconTile map so that grout color can be controlled from one location rather than in both row color locations. This grout map would also give you a little buffer for getting that row alternation mask aligned correctly.
          Last edited by beestee; 13-10-2011, 01:05 PM.
          Ben Steinert
          pb2ae.com

Comment

Are any of you buys using BerconTile 3 with Max 2012? I seem to be having issues with Bercon Gradient - if I try and change the number parameter from anything other than 0 or 1 then max crashes. Same thing happens if I try and change the position parameter to anything other than 0 or 1. Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
            X