HD editing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD editing

Looking for a good quick solution for a Raid enclosure thats well priced that i can edit HD footage with. A friend of mine suggested Drobo and the drobo S seeeems to be what i need but not sure. their BeyongRaid technology confuses me. from what ive read up online i need Raid1,0 for good editing

---------------------------------------------------
    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
    stupid questions the forum can answer.

In my experience harddisk is not the bottleneck when editing 1080p. How much bandwith do you need?
    Marc Lorenz
    ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
    www.marclorenz.com
    www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

what do you mean by bandwidth? whats that got to do with the speed of a drive?

MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with

Comment

I mean, are you really streaming more than 50-100mb/sec, so that you would benefit from raid? Isn't the CPU/RAM/GPU crapping out before you reach the limit of how fast a single drive can stream the data?
        Marc Lorenz
        ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
        www.marclorenz.com
        www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

well some clients give me red footage to work on so i might need it

Comment

Umh... if U have a 32 bit comp guide and files are 5-20 mb a file. Then 30 frames/s = 30x20mb = 600mb to transfer in 1 second + any filters color correction etc etc u need very fast ram&cpu (Id suggest 1900mhz speed) a CPU that run at 200 bclock atleast and 1gb data transfer. I guess U will have more than 1 file to load from hdd.

Also a 48 gb minimum ¬ 96gb of ram...

GL
            CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

I don't think drobo is the way to go here. It is a good way to keep large amounts of data stored with little worry of drive failure, but I wouldn't say it is the optimal solution for moving large amounts of data quickly. I could be mistaken since I have not kept up with them since their second generation though.

Originally posted by DADAL View Post
              Umh... if U have a 32 bit comp guide and files are 5-20 mb a file. Then 30 frames/s = 30x20mb = 600mb to transfer in 1 second + any filters color correction etc etc u need very fast ram&cpu (Id suggest 1900mhz speed) a CPU that run at 200 bclock atleast and 1gb data transfer. I guess U will have more than 1 file to load from hdd.

Also a 48 gb minimum ¬ 96gb of ram...

GL

Interesting that Corsair just released this amazing (at least I thought so) $1K set of RAM and it still doesn't meet those qualifications:

http://www.corsair.com/dominator-gt-...m4x1866c9.html

Hopefully video editing pays well enough to afford a 'filled to the brim' Ivy Bridge build when they are available.
              Ben Steinert
              pb2ae.com

Comment

Yup I've seen it, but a 98 gb of ram is quite cheap comparing to what it was 2 years ago... so gogogogogo !
                CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

General rule: If you're working with an uncompressed file type your HD will be your bottleneck, if you're using a compressed image format, your cpu will be more of a bottleneck (relatively).

I'd go with a raid0+1 or a raid5 setup for an editing station. Redundancy is nice but if it's just an editing station then I wouldn't prioritize it #1 (personally). Store your frames on another server, and move them over when you're ready to edit. Just 0.02cents.
                  Colin Senner

Comment

more to0+1 rather than 5.
                    where do you live moondoggie that they have 0.02of a cent thats smaaaaaallll. just my 0.02dollar hehehehe

Comment

What's the final delivery? Would you be better transcoding to a smaller format for editing and then remaster? Most folks seem to go to prores (or cineform on the windows side) and edit from there. If you do a decent job of setting your exposure from the r3d's when making your quicktimes, you can probably grade from those too.

Comment

Working...
                      X