bad dwg import

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad dwg import

Im having trouble importing a dwg siteplan from a client. When importing it says "the center of the model is located at 143631, 6623423, 3" "you may experience accuracy problems" etc. The choice is to either abort the import or import anyways, which screws up the whole siteplan. All the lines are shifted a meter or so in random directions and everything looks horrible. (see the attached image)

So what to do? Do I have to call the client tomorrow and ask them to move the whole siteplan closer to 0,0,0 in Autocad, or can I solve this myself?

thanks in advance.

k
    Attached Files

I would keep a copy of the original file as a reference in case if they update something later and I would create my own site in 0,0,0.... so you could later create a line from the new 0,0,0 to the location of the new 0,0,0 in the original siteplan so when you import new data the only thing that you have to do is moving the new data using the end point of the reference line to put in place.
    show me the money!!

Comment

Thanks flino,

do you mean create my own site in 0,0,0 in Autocad? (cause I dont have it) Or do you mean in MAX? The problem is that the siteplan gets screwed up on import, moving it to 0,0,0 in Max is easy but doesnt solve the problem. See the parkinglotlines in the image I posted, its like they are randomly moved around abit.

In this case I plotted a pdf from the dwg and use it as a texture in max. Works OK, but not ideal.

Comment

If you don't have Autocad you can download it to see is OK....You could try to import it into different application such as Sketchup to doble check.
        I always keep backgrounds in Autocad to work with them in Rhino, Max or SU. Regarding this file, maybe has some info in 3D, so the lines are in different levels.
        show me the money!!

Comment

importing autocad files at anything other than 0,0,0 will most likely end up with corrupted cad files and you will pay for it in some other unrelated thing.. it will corrupt how something else operates. You need to move the site BEFORE importing. If you don't have autocad, you need the people who are supplying it to move it for you.
          AND they need to keep a copy of their move coordinate so when changes are made and they have to resend you the revised files, they will move the new files to the same place.
          mh

Comment

thanks guys, the pdf-texture-workaround worked out alright this time. Next time Ill get them to make a 0,0,0 version of the siteplan...
            k

Comment

Originally posted by skogskalle View Post
              In this case I plotted a pdf from the dwg and use it as a texture in max. Works OK, but not ideal.
              Just curious, how did you plot it if you don't have autocad? Why not just use whatever you used to plot it with to move it closer to the origin?
              www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

dlparisi - I use "DWG True view" to view dwgs , but I dont think I can move or edit the drawings in any way... its just a tool for viewing,converting and plotting autocad dwgs. If its possible to move the drawing to 0,0,0 in that program please let me know how Would save me alot of trouble.
                k

Comment

Use Draftsight by Dassault Systems, its freeee

Comment

Thanks Spikeadeliv! Havent tried it yet but it looks great

Comment

Working...
                    X