DWG problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWG problem

Im not an architect so i dont use architectural programs. Just max. i keep getting dwg files that there is always something different between what i get and what the client is looking for. so i downloaded autocad demo to open one of these files. on the bottom of the window it has two tabs. one called "model" and one called "tp02" or something simular. when i import the dwg into max i get the data thats in the model tab which when i look at it looks messy, overlapping designs and utter crap. the client wants whats in the tp drawing though. what am i doing wrong on import to max.

---------------------------------------------------
    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
    stupid questions the forum can answer.

the other tab is paper space, it's how looks like the sheet before print it out...Each sheet keep its own layer status, what it is happening is that you are exporting everything that is on under model space.
    try this, go to sheet tab, type ms and hit enter...now you are in model space inside the sheet,.. export it from there.
    if you don't get what you want you could try save the layer status in PS and apply it in MS tab.

Fernando
    Last edited by flino2004; 25-11-2011, 09:35 AM.
    show me the money!!

Comment

tried what you said. went into tp02. typed ms and hit enter. it said it was now in model space then i saved the file and imported to max and still got the entire thing. not sure what you mean about saving the layer status in ps

---------------------------------------------------
      MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
      stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

oK. go again to PS, type MS and select everything in there....open a new DWG and paste it using same origin if you need it
        or type Wblock select everything again (inside PS and MS) so you will be able to create a new file only with the selected objects.

Fernando
        show me the money!!

Comment

I would also recommend the following:

-bind any xrefs
          -purge any image planes/references
          -explode all blocks
          -do PURGE and AUDIT commands

edit: - another one is do a quick select of entire drawing (in actual model space, not just through the viewport) and select all points and delete them.

Then, as flino2004 suggests select the desired objects and Write Block (W) them.
          There are other things you can do, but these usually do the trick here...

Also, it sounds like their drawings is a mess anyway. Maybe they can take 15 minutes and clean it up for you, since they know what they want included for 3D...
          Last edited by voltron7; 28-11-2011, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Elf,
            I feel your pain. I can't imagine doing simulations without knowing autocad. Anything i get from other companies always requires a lot of time redoing it in autocad to make it useable in max. Assuming they will spend 15 minutes of their time is a joke. They wouldn't even know what to do to make it useable. There are so many blocks and xrefs and so on in every dwg file that if you didn't know how to handle it, you'll be lost. Exploding blocks can often lead to other problems. Here is my suggestion.
            1. Have them give you full size plots as pdf files. This will at least show you what you are supposed to be looking at.
            2. Convert the plots to tif images and insert into max and then trace over them to get what you need.
            From there its however you want to proceed. Hope this helps.
            mh

Comment

Working...
            X