working locally or off a network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• working locally or off a network

what's your preference? What's the best workflow? Working locally or off your network? We are constantly trying to track down linked files. Once a project is closed it gets moved to a different server for archival. Other than missing links what is the benefit of working locally opposed to a network? I am talking Photoshop, and Indesign, aftereffects, Revit, Max…
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

what I do it's matching what I have in my network....I work locally 90% of the time because I take my laptop to coffee shops or even another country (1-3 months a year) to remotely I copy the files to my mini-farm. I never have any problem with missing links so I have and excel file with all the projects there and it's shows the projects that are dead, active and synchronized with my main drive, they always are partially updated because all the max files are there to render them.
    I hardly ever render finals in my laptop, I have a beast so If I need to do it I'll be able but it's only if I cannot get access to my farm for any reasons.

the secret is having a very organized structure and no long names, as I mentioned in previous threads....I don't use names only number for projects, the structure of my folders too so all the names, descriptions are inside a excel file with tabs per year.
    the number of the project is like 11001,11002, etc, (year 11 project 001). I'm very organized because I hate spend time trying to find something and the main reason is because I'm getting old, so I don't want to have a lose my control and end up smashing monitors, computers, etc. I did it once( for different reason) I was working on a project with a dead line in few hours and I applied "hatch" in Autocad (11 years ago or more) so didn't save what I did for 2 hours...the stupid computer was processing the "hatch" for more than 45 minutes and it was 3:30am..So I snapped, after a quick involuntary nap.....I felt so good that I worked very calm and smooth for a month after that.

Fernando
    show me the money!!

Comment

We always work on the network Bobby. We keep all our maps and meshes in one place on their own network drive and wherever the file ends up it still points to that drive for the maps so they never go missing (unless the map was re-named by our "helpful" IT expert obviously!!!) We configure the user paths too so that the file always knows where to look. Hope this helps?

Comment

Same here - always off a central file server which is backed up daily.
        Kind Regards,
        Richard Birket
        ----------------------------------->
        http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

Comment

Working...
        X