No announcement yet.

Another 3d artist requesting my models.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another 3d artist requesting my models.

I have done sub-contract work for another 3d artist. We never actually had any written agreements, but initially I have worked on provided models, so my deliverables were just renderings. When I eventually started handling entire projects, I still delivered just the renderings.

I never really provide my models unless I get hired to do so explicitly. I’ve provided models from arch-vis projects on a couple of occasions but I charged extra for that.

Usually what this means is that the client found someone cheaper and want them to continue the work, or sometimes they have setup someone in-house which more or less equates to the same thing.

Well, this 3d artist client suddenly started demanding that I send him all my work files. I was really reluctant to do this, but I agreed. However, this still lead to problems because I did not get around to do this in a timely fashion since I’m really busy and cant afford to waste time right now. Well, this caused him to demand files for all the projects instead of just a few, and threatening me that he won’t pay what he owes me for the renderings unless I do so.

I’d like to know if my stance/concern was legitimate, or if I just made a mess of a situation myself because I did not do something that’s accepted as a norm.
    Dusan Bosnjak
    http://www.dusanbosnjak.com/

depending of how much money he owes to you, but regardless of money I won't work for them anymore.
    If the amount is a lot, just send the models get your money and turn to the next page...but it's not that much, I won't send anything!!! I'll enjoy the fact that he will need to do all the job again and it will cost him more money (probably He will contact you again offering more money for the models....And I would say "NO thanks").

Fernando
    show me the money!!

Comment

There's usually two sides to every story.
      Last edited by jujubee; 08-12-2011, 01:22 PM.
      LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
      HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
      Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Guys, I would appreciate if you solve this issue off the forum - you're both cool guys, I'm sure you'll reach a consensus.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I think it is/was a mistake from you part (Dusan) to expose this here, being both of you part of this community....I can see valid arguments from both sizes and I hope that you resolve this issue soon.

Fernando
          show me the money!!

Comment

I beg vlado to keep this online. I didnt expose anyone i just wanted some feedback because i do entertain the possibility that i sometimes may be wrong.

I never resort to bringing put dirty laundry, and i find this horrible. If i work from home, especially in different time zones people shouldnt care if i go to fetish clubs, get drunk or read books to children as long as i deliver. And fortunately i do have documentation proving that i have delivered. And hopefuly there are people on this very board that ive worked with and that keep coming back and could put in a good word for me.

I was asked to remove my post, but i feel that my post is really benign and since it's personal and does not attack anyone, hasn't really damaged anyone. I wanted to get some feedback and the outcome could have been:

a) i would stand my ground, and possibly even write about this situation in particular
            b) i would have apologized, handed over the files (which btw i partially did) and tried to make amends

I'm also not sure what to say about people missing deadlines. I generally feel that i need to make every deadline and i have never missed one due to my error. Since a lot of us work remotely, and there isn't really anything anyone can do to you legally if you miss something, i'm more concerned about keeping a good reputation and getting more work. And so far, i have delivered every time.
            Last edited by pailhead; 08-12-2011, 01:34 PM.
            Dusan Bosnjak

Comment

I've never provided my models to the client if they wanted an image as the rendering result. Models are tools of trade, means used to produce an image and if client wants them- client shell pay for them. No one in his right mind would ask a taxi-driver to give him his taxi at the and of the ride?
              You should charge them time you spent on building and texturing the models

On the other hand if I was employed to do 3D work for someone, everything I created belong to the empolyer and they have a copyright to it.

In any case, have a good ( and signed) contract/quote next time

Just my oppinion

Zoran

Comment

The main thing was, do you consider contract work, such as we do remotely one artist for another, as employment, or as clients. In that case, i've probably had only a handful of projects that i've done for clients, but on the other hand, none of the employers gave me any benefits nor a steady paycheck.
                Dusan Bosnjak

Comment

Working...
                X