Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAD Block Removal and/or Conversion

Hi guys,

I had a question. I'm not an ACAD person. Sometimes I get .dwgs and when I import them, there might be lots of hidden objects called blocks. Sometimes they contain actual geometry.
    Not only are these bloating Max files, but they make things difficult to edit.

Is there an easy way or a script to either convert (when they actually contain geometry) and/or get rid of these without having to go back to the actual CAD application they were created in? I've searched high and low for years for an answer to this question.

Thanks!
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

if the blocks come from Architectural desktop and you want to import them into Max you have to be in 3D view to do it because they are multiviewblocks, so they contain more than one block (for example, in plan and another one for elevations and another one in 3D)....I usually clean the CAD files before import them into another application, turning all the layers ON and deleting everything that I don't need, Purging the file (purge command) or exporting what I want using Wblock....I prefer spend few minutes cleaning than hours and bad mood later.

Fernando
    show me the money!!

Comment

Unfortunately, this isn't always an option. I was hoping for a way to do it within Max.
      LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
      HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
      Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Hi jujubee,
        I normally have this problem since we work with lots of cad files . I solve this problem by applying a vol. select to the Block:'s, then i collapse the modifier stack and then we can delete them (strange but it works).

Best regards,
        Daniel
        Daniel Santana | Co-Founder / Technical Director
        You can do it! VFX
        Lisbon/Porto - Portugal
        http://www.ycdivfx.com

Comment

select all objects in scene, click "Unlink selection" hit h , select all objects that their name starts with Block isolate selection click del... but you already know this
          Luke Szeflinski
          :: www.lukx.com cgi

Comment

Working...
          X