strange viewport performance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange viewport performance.

i have a pretty huge scene.. its 5 mill. polies just for the landscape and the proxy viewport representations ( set to faces not edges)

however its not -that-huge by my normal standards.

in max 2011 i get at best 5 fps in direct3d, and about 1 frame a week in opengl

in max 2012 i get the same results in direct3d and opengl, but about 1.2 fps in nitrous. change to wireframe and i get over 200 fps.

wierd thing is, i get that 1.2fps when scrubbing the timeslider (cam along a path) but if i rotate the camera instead i immediately get 80fps. its only when playing back the cam path i get these dreadful framerates. ( there are no other animated objects or textures in the scene)

any suggestions? even hiding 70% of the proxies doesnt seem to help. makes setting up a campath a bit of a pain in the arse.

hmm seems to be related to the texture maps in the viewport. if i set the viewport to wire colour my framerate jumps to around 100fps.

not a huge amount of textures in there to be honest, one big one for landscaping, but id assume that it wont be trying to load the full res textures. i have a 2GB gtx 285 gpu, not new but not a complete dinosaur either. . strange that if its related to texture display, it would only struggle on timeline scrubbing/playback, and be fine in normal view navigation.

edit: enabling the bitmap pager has solved the problem, but does that not have issues with vray?

Comment

which graphic board do you have?
      if it is a geforce 5xx try to switch to box mode for the vrproxy and see what happens
      Alessandro

Comment

Working...
      X