Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3ds max view performance 2*GTX580 vs quadro FX4000

Hello,
    could anybody tell me, which one will be faster in viewport?

two cards GTX580
    or
    one quadro FX4000

the price is almost equal,

my question is, does viewport take the advantage of dual cards? are they faster than one fx 4000?
    is vray RT faster with two GTX580?
    thx,
    F

Hi Filip!

Forget the quadro card, it's a total waste of money... Get two GTX580 with 3GB of memory (Gainward, EVGA) and you will get better performance in VrayRT if you are using it. Or just wait a few weeks for the new GTX680 Keep in mind that SLI config doesn't affect your viewport performance AFAIK.

Inaxis
    Kind regards,
    Zsombor

www.brickvisual.com

Comment

It might be worth reading this:http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost...7&postcount=18

From here:http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...1&page=1&pp=15

Also keep in mind that Autodesk do not 'officially' support the GeForce cards but they do release performance drivers for the Quadros.

So it really depends what you want to do with it. I agree that the Quadros are still very expensive for what they are though.

Comment

hello Inaxis,
        thanks for the reply. Vray RT GPU speed is nice addition, but more important is tviewport performance for my case.
        Good to know SLI does not affect the viewport performance.
        Now would like to know, how big difference is single GTX580 vs single FX4000 in large scene shaded wireframe viewport.
        cannot find any benchmark comparing gtx vs quadros for 3ds max.
        thx,
        F

Comment

Going by viewport speed, if it´s an option for you AMD HD7970 might be worth checking out. People have compared GTX580 and HD7970 at least in Blender and Maya iirc and 7970 was way faster in both cases and solved some problems where viewport would freeze for some seconds on an Nvidia card when selecting objects or doing selections on subobject level.
          Ville Kiuru
          www.flavors.me/vkiuru

Comment

I can't show you any comparsion but check this tread:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=206705

This is what you get for your hard earned money if you buy a Quadro...

I was using a Quadro (FX3450) here in the office and a GF8800 at home and I didn't felt any difference in viewport performance. Now I'm using a GTX580 with 3 gigs of memory. For this price you can get a GTX680/ATI 7970 which is another dimension in my opinion.
            Kind regards,
            Zsombor

www.brickvisual.com

Comment

Thanks for replies to all,
              will check your link,
              had the same decision process couple years ago,
              switched gtx260 to fx3800 and have to say the working in 3ds max was a lot smoother...
              will go probably with the gtx580 this time and will see,
              shame I cannot find any good benchmark for 3dsmax
              F

Comment

Working...
              X