Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu + Quadro 4000 = horrendous viewport performance ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu + Quadro 4000 = horrendous viewport performance ?

Hey guys, I just wondered how your viewport performance in Maya is if you have a Q4000.

At work we're using Quadro 4000's (driver 295.40), 32Gb ram, i7 3930k (@ 3.2Ghz) running on Ubuntu.
    The performance is horrendous, 10 mil polys in Maya 2012 SAP 1 = 2fps

I can't really find many settings to chance in the Nvidia X Server Settings window apart from ensuring it's on maximum performance in the 'powermizer' tab, and setting it to 'high performance' in the open gl settings.

After seeing David's video here http://www.vimeo.com/20154974 - it's extremely frustrating seeing our performance here

NOTE:
    This is just really to do with Maya (thus in this section of the forum)
    Last edited by RobPhoboS; 15-05-2012, 03:30 AM.

I have the exact same system you do but overclocked to 4.8GHz and running win7 - I get the following peak fps when working with a client's car models:

7.9M polys 8.2fps (default) / 25fps (viewport 2.0)
    25.4M polys 2.2fps (default) / 14.5fps (viewport 2.0)

Make sure you're in VP2.0 like Dave was in his demo.

I don't know much about Linux, however i do recall coming across an article that showed ubuntu having the poorest 3d performance of any linux distro - about 10% worse than the best one.

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/201...rformance.html
    Last edited by renderfarmer; 31-05-2012, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Working fine on Windows 7 with Nvidia driver 275.89
      Portfolio: http://www.cgifocus.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys.
        The only problem I've seen with VP2 is that I cannot see my image plane (matchmoving at work).
        Yeah at home I use win7, and a 5600ti which works great just at work these cards seem utterly useless.

Comment

I've been keen on using VP2 as much as I can because of the escalating size of the car models I'm getting from manufacturers. Model Year 10 cars topped out at 12M polys. I just got a model year 13 that is 34M!

VP2 in Maya2011 was just a big tease - terrible display and stability issues but with blazing speed. Maya2012 brought more visual consistency with VP2, but it would still crash a lot when selecting geometry to flip normals, and blend mats intermittently rendered as black with no obvious way to revert them. Maya2013 seems to have VP2 at a usable point of stability (no crashes this week) and the occasional errant blend mat can be rectified by restarting maya. Granted, I'm running 2013 on a GTX 680, so it could be that VP2 hasn't changed but my Q4000 just sucked. I'm getting the exact same fram rates in default viewport on the GTX680 as I got on the Q4000, but VP2 fps have doubled on 25M poly models and tripled on 8M

I can see my image planes just fine in 2013, if that helps.

Comment

I definitely appreciate the feedback on what's happening with your set-up, it's useful to know.
            I'll pass on the info over to our tech team, and I'll try some tests on my computer in a moment (as a comparison).

Comment

Working...
            X