Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Major stability/display issues with Max2013. May go back to 2009.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major stability/display issues with Max2013. May go back to 2009.

We have recently jumped back on the Autodesk subscription program to bring us up-to-date from Max2009 to Max2013. However, we have been having major issues with Max2013 since the outset.

Our workstations are reasonably high end - i7 2700k, 16GB RAM, GTX480 cards

1) Display performance issues
    Nitrous is dreadful. Despite trying various driver installs and changing various settings on the workstations, we decided to drop back to Direct3D. Even with Direct3D, we get random dialogue boxes disappearing and severe delays when working with the material editor (in slate mode or classic mode). Generally, display performance is awful and extremely difficult to work with.

2) AutoCAD file-link-manager issues
    Our workflow involves heavy use of the file link manager as our architectural models are created in AutoCAD (version 2009). This is core to our production process. Initially, FLM seems to work fine in Max2013, but some distance into a project, errors start to surface. Normally, the error shows itself when we come to reload the file link and click on the 'select layers...' button. Clicking this button causes max to crash. After re-starting max and loading in the project, the same thing happens. Loading an older version of the same project exhibit the same problem. This means that all texture assignment and UVW mapping may need to be done again if we need to re-link to the file from scratch.

3) Material Editior update issues
    Randomly thoughout a project, the material editor will suddenly stop functioning correctly. For example, changing the colour of the diffuse will not update in the material sample slot. It also does not update on the geometry to which it is applied. The only way around this is to restart Max. It then works for a short time, but then the problem surfaces again. This is unworkable.

4) Spinner updates
    Randomly throughout the course of a project, interactive updates of a spinner will not update in the viewport. For example, if we use the Sweep modifier on a line to create an extruded rectangle. Dragging on the spinner to change the size of the rectangle will not update in the viewport. We need to select the spline in the stack, and then back up to the Sweep modifier to 'kick it into gear'. This too is unworkable.

We have tried with Nvidia drivers 270.61 (approved by autodesk), 275.33, 285.62, 296.10 and the newly released 301.42. None have made any difference.

I am now investigating getting a refund on our upgrade, or trying to decide to work on Max2012 or even 2011 if we are able to download that version.
    Has anybody else experienced these kind of issues?
    Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket
    ----------------------------------->
    http://www.blinkimage.com

They should probably get you on the 3ds Max beta team if/when they do the betas

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I must say I experience the same issues as in point number 1. If nutrios is enabled even moving vray frame buffer around is laggy. Moving any window in general is laggy.
      Dmitry Vinnik
      Silhouette Images Inc.
      ShowReel:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
      https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Yesterday I've switched back to 2012.
        2013 is unusable in a deadlined driven production environment
        Kind Regards,
        Morne

Comment

I can confirm the spinner updating issue. Initially, i almost go mad because i though it was a bug in our plugins...

We also have found other problems with Nitrous and Mental Ray. We are extending the beta period of Forest and RailClone because this.
          Carlos Quintero
          iToo Software
          www.itoosoft.com

Comment

Since the Yost Group stopped developing 3DS Max, I have never used a release in production until at least the first service pack is released and I see no more major complaints online. I advise all of my clients to do the same...

-Alan

Comment

I've always jumped on board as soon as it's released and never had any major problems, but I must say this time around, it's unusable for anything big with a tight deadline
              Kind Regards,
              Morne

Comment

5) Save as 2012: We were advised at one of the Autodesk launches that if we needed to revert back to a previous file version (if required plugins weren't available for example) we could simply save as a 2012 scene and continue working in 2012. This also seems to fail at the point where either of points 3) or 2) above occur. During the save as process, Max2013 just crashes out.
                Kind Regards,
                Richard Birket

Comment

One potential issue with our systems (I guess) is that we are running GTX480 cards. They don't even appear on the list for Max2013! You need a Quadro card to be fully compliant.

Could this be the root cause of all our issues?
                  Kind Regards,
                  Richard Birket

Comment

as i understand it gaming cards have never been certified for 3dsmax. didnt stop them working though.

if this now means they are not usable, autodesk would be very very seriously shooting themselves in the foot.

Comment

Originally posted by super gnu View Post
                      as i understand it gaming cards have never been certified for 3dsmax. didnt stop them working though.

if this now means they are not usable, autodesk would be very very seriously shooting themselves in the foot.
                      They do certified lists and recommended lists. With 2012, our GTX480 cards are on the lists. With 2013, no GTX -type cards make the list, only workstation class cards.
                      Kind Regards,
                      Richard Birket

Comment

here's my list of issues for 2013:
                        http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...?f=6&t=1051434
                        Kind Regards,
                        Morne

Comment

Make sure you also log these with Autodesk...

Best regards,
                          Vlado
                          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I've logged all of these seperately with Autodesk and received email bug tracking number for each one. But now what do I do with that number? Anybody know where can I go to see if there are any progress on this or if anybody has even looked at it?
                            Kind Regards,
                            Morne

Comment

Working...
                            X