No announcement yet.

Legal to resell software licenses etc ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal to resell software licenses etc ?

Heya

Correct me I'm wrong but does this ruling states that I can just sell all my software legaly?

http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/d...cp120094en.pdf
    http://www.gamerlaw.co.uk/2012/07/le...les-in-eu.html
    Thanks, ciao.
    Last edited by Dariusz Makowski (Dadal); 04-07-2012, 04:35 AM.
    CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

I don't know a great deal about this but from what I've read, Autodesk can already get around this via the need for an activation code for 3ds Max. You could legally sell your license however they aren't legally obliged to supply the new owner with an activiation code - so it would be effectively worthless.

I'd be more than happy if someone else who's better informed can confirm if this is the case
    MDI Digital
    moonjam

Comment

It would be best to ask a laywer (which is what we intend to do)

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Well I remember when I worked for a 3dsmax reseller lightyears ago the order was reselling is prohibited by Autodesk.
        But we were also aware that in case someone would sue Autodesk about it, he would probabely win, because what you own you can sell.
        I´m not a layer but I would think after this court rule that Autodesk might be even forced to give out an Activation code.
        Big software companies do not stand above the law, even if they act like that nowadays.

Chaosgroup probabely doesn´t need to worry... who would want to sell a Vray anyway ?
        Regarding Autodesk, I could imagine we will shortly see a massive marketing campaign
        to promote Cloud based Software.. "because it´s so awesome" and you have enormous
        advantages like telling your friends "Dude.. I´m science fiction.. I´m in the cloud"

Comment

Selling Vray - you suicidal ? =D
          CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Originally posted by AJ Jefferies View Post
            You could legally sell your license however they aren't legally obliged to supply the new owner with an activiation code - so it would be effectively worthless.
            I wonder if that would actually work in case of legal action in the EU.. as they don't activate the software per se, but the license, they would in fact oppose your legitimate right to sell it.
            anyway, I'm also curious to see how this develops.

Comment

Working...
            X