Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WordPress installed & theme loaded - Now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WordPress installed & theme loaded - Now what?

OK so I've installed Wordpress and installed a theme, but now what?

Do I load all my portfolio pics in the media library? or Do I simply add them one by one into a new post each time? What if a project had 3 images and 1 animation, would all 4 those things go into 1 post directly, or do I make a post and link it from my media library?

I'm a bit unclear of what to do next.

I'm trying to display all my images on 1 page, and then when a person clicks on it, it takes you to that page which shows 1 or 2 more views from that project.
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

it depends on what theme you are using. Each theme is a little different, but most have good help tutorials.
    Originally posted by Morne View Post
    OK so I've installed Wordpress and installed a theme, but now what?

Do I load all my portfolio pics in the media library? or Do I simply add them one by one into a new post each time? What if a project had 3 images and 1 animation, would all 4 those things go into 1 post directly, or do I make a post and link it from my media library?

I'm a bit unclear of what to do next.

I'm trying to display all my images on 1 page, and then when a person clicks on it, it takes you to that page which shows 1 or 2 more views from that project.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I don't mean technically as in via coding, I mean from my dashboard, how am I suppose to get content into my site. Through custom posts, or is there a way to automatically display stuff in my media library?
      Like I said, I don't know if I'm suppose to be making posts for each item, or is it automatic somehow?
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

You can try this.
        http://en.support.wordpress.com/images/gallery/
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

thanks I'll take a look tonight
          Kind Regards,
          Morne

Comment

You can also find a plugin that'll pull your flickr account, into your Wordpress site so, you only have to maintain one gallery.
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Thanks Bobby I've taken a look at the link you gave and also looked into some flickr plugins and they look great.

However I'm more looking for something that will display a library of my projects. So it will show a gallery of images (show 1 image per project)
              Then either underneath each thumbnail or over each thumbnail it should have something that shows images=3 (or how ever many images that project has) animation=1 or animation=yes or something like that. When a user click on a thumbnail it should go to that project's page (which I'm geussing would be a post made up of the various images and videos of that project?) Or how else would a user see all images related to a project?

I'm trying to get my head around how this whole thing works.

What I don't understand is how do I make each project page look the same unless I post in the same way. Can't I just post images and video and it will take care of the "display" for me?

What I see so far is that I have to add images and video to each post manually, which makes it possible for me to add text and extra spaces and mess up the "project" format so each project doesn't look the same. Isn't it suppose to be automated?

For example I just add 3 or 4 or 5 or whatever images and it sorts the display for me so I don't have to worry about spacing and size and placement of each image?
              Last edited by Morne; 27-08-2012, 02:33 PM.
              Kind Regards,
              Morne

Comment

you can insert a gallery into a and page or post. you don't need to add anything else the pages, though you could add other images or text if you wanted.

depending on your theme you may get extra ways to view the gallery.

as for media gallery, you can add things to it. and then select images from there for your gallery. though i find it dosen't always work (at least with my theme). and I've just been adding them while making the gallery.

you may have theme options that should control the default options for how its all view.

also depending on plugins, you can do things like export from lightroom directly into wordpress. so there are many ways you can do it.

Comment

I just moved mine over to Squarespace. I was there a couple of years ago, and it cost about $45.00 per month. Now, their new CMS, is much better, and it's only $16 a month. If you would like, check it out. It doesn't have a lot of content, but it was easy. www.bobby-Parker.com
                  Bobby Parker
                  www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                  • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

hmm thanks guys. I figured out the gallery within a post. Pretty simple. I'll also check out Squarespace to see what it's about
                    Kind Regards,
                    Morne

Comment

Working...
                    X