Off-site server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off-site server

I'm investigating our options for having our server hosted in a datacenter and wondering about the implications of doing so. I'm also interested to know if anyone is doing anything similar?

Essentially, our server does nothing but store our day-to-day files and run MS Exchange which handles our email. We have our Vray dongles connected to it, and also, it runs BackBurner Manager 2008. The other task it has is the data backup routines - we have tried a number of systems over the years, from LTO to external USB drives. For one reason or another, we have always had issues with the method we use.

So, having our server off-site in a secure datacenter will theoretically solve stability and day-to-day backups, or at least, the responsibility will pass to somebody else. I *assume* the vray license server can run from it, and I also *assume* Backburner Manager can run from it so that our local workstations and any local render farm machines we have on-site can still talk to it.

The main - and pretty obvious - issues I can see are bandwidth, primarily our upload speeds.

At the moment, we have a reasonably good 17.5Mb download, but only 1Mb upload. Things are hopefully going to be upgraded soon around here, so we may achieve 60-100Mb down and perhaps 20Mb up.

I would imagine our daily backup is no different from many of you guys of a similar size to us - perhaps between 5-20GB a night depending upon workload and the type of work we are doing (images or HD animation for instance). Is it feasible to download our Photoshop files (for example), which can be over 1GB in size, from a remote server in order to work on them locally, before saving them back to the remote server later that day? Or, can we download PSD file from the server, work locally, and save locally, but overnight it automatcally gets sent back to the remote server?

If I were working on a Max file, with its various assets (textures/proxies etc) stored on the remote server, would the 'lag' of pulling them down be problematic? Are there any solutions to these kind of situations?

The default and traditional option is to have your own file server sitting in your office. If there are any problems, you can go and re-boot and get it going again. The downside is that, for a smaller company, maintenance and backup of the server system can be quite a task. Things can and do go wrong, and without dedicated on-site IT departments ready to help, solutions can take time, or workarounds become unreliable.

Cloud-based servers do solve a number of the problems, such as backup and resilience (as mentioned above), but it ain't so easy to just pop in and re-boot. Also, the file sizes we are dealing with, even as a small company, are huge. Bandwidth, and stability of the connection, becomes critical.

I have posted threads like this in the past, but that mainly concerned remote render farm setups. I wondered if any of you are working with off-site servers? What are the potential pitfalls?
    Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket
    ----------------------------------->
    http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

Its not a bad idea, but here is a couple of things you might want to improve on. You will most likely need a much faster network speed (internet) if you want to have the same performance as in your office. You also have to realize that if the internet goes down (which happens) you will not be able to work.
    We have remote licenses and some other things, and you can't believe how many times it affected us. Last month the city was doing some work on the street near our office and they cut the hard line (like in the matrix) and we were out of internet for about a day.
    I think its best to keep your working stuff, locally and backup to remote location.
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

I use carbonite for backup. For $54.00 a year, for unlimited space, it's a no-brainer. You can access all your files through the web, and smart devices
      Originally posted by Morbid Angel View Post
      Its not a bad idea, but here is a couple of things you might want to improve on. You will most likely need a much faster network speed (internet) if you want to have the same performance as in your office. You also have to realize that if the internet goes down (which happens) you will not be able to work.
      We have remote licenses and some other things, and you can't believe how many times it affected us. Last month the city was doing some work on the street near our office and they cut the hard line (like in the matrix) and we were out of internet for about a day.
      I think its best to keep your working stuff, locally and backup to remote location.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com
      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Its a baad idea. U face issues with NDA and problems retrieving data... Recover 2tb of data in 2h.. .GL !

I would advise against it.
        CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

it's one of my 3 backups, and it has already saved me several times.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

their courier recovery will get you our files, on DVD, next day.
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I cant imagine getting 2 TB of data on DVD =D

Still price of 2tb HDD is 65£ or so... It aint expensive to run home made back up !
              CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Sounds like a very bad idea to me. I would just backup to an offsite server somewhere instead.
                www.suurland.com
                www.cg-source.com
                www.hdri-locations.com

Comment

Working...
                X