Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Portfolio issues - cant use latest stuff - any advice or suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portfolio issues - cant use latest stuff - any advice or suggestions?

Hi all

So most of my better work is recent, as in the last 2 years or so, but for that the clients dont want me to use it in my portfolio for various reasons, some nda, others copyright etc. Some of the things are already built and hundreds of people visit the buildings daily, its beyond me how the client can still insist in copyright issues and intelectual property and they dont want their "designs" leaked.

So the question is, do I just use my older 4 year old stuff where I own the copyright and hope for the best? I'm worried it may negatively reflect my skills and knowledge as in my opinion my current stuff is lighyears ahead of the old stuff.

I'm sure I'm not the only person with this problem. I've read at various places that you should rather just use 2 or 3 of your BEST work in your portfolio, than a bunch of old things thats not so great.

What do you guys and girls think? Any advice or suggestions?
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Yep, it's always better to use work that represents you properly. No point in making a bad first impression or using something that undersells you. A lot of clients are okay with you showing things but only under certain circumstances where it's password protected and impossible to download / take a copy of. For example if you were meeting a potential client and you had a copy of your portfolio on your laptop / ipad but didn't leave anything with the clients.

Do you work with a lot of product design companies? I can see where there'd be a conflict if your clients all work in the same area, perhaps it'd be worth doing a few spec / test jobs along the same lines just for the sake of avoiding this hassle?

Comment

My contract states that I have 100% right to use for marketing and promotion. did you agree beforehand not to display it? Have you explained your situation to your client.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com
      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
        For example if you were meeting a potential client and you had a copy of your portfolio on your laptop / ipad but didn't leave anything with the clients.
        I'd do this. Take a copy with you, but don't leave them anything and don't send them a digital copy. They'll understand if you say no because you've signed something saying you wont.

Comment

Working...
        X