Contemplating new server, but want to keep things simple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contemplating new server, but want to keep things simple

We have an ageing server that we feel needs replacing, though we are reluctant to go down the route of an 'all-singing-all-dancing', top-of-the-line server. Our requirements of a server are tiny. We don't run any complex software - the server is basically a central file server where all our projects and assets are saved. Nightly backups run to external hard disks using 3rd party software. Backburner manager runs on the server, as does the vray license manager and the itoosoft manager etc. We are also looking into Google to host our email, so the server will not necessarilr run even as a mail server.

The main considerations are stability and disk space. I have roughly configured a Dell Poweredge T320 on the dell website with a RAID1 (SATA)/RAID5 (SAS) system, giving us a mirrored OS drive on SATA drives and a RAID5 data area using a few SAS disks. With a Dell recommended UPS, the costs are quite reasonable - around £3-3.5k plus VAT.

However, the option of OS is where I am not too sure which route to follow. At the moment, we have Windows SBS 2003. We have always felt that this is over the top for us. Can I just install Windows 7? Would that suffice? Dell only gives options for the various server packages. They are both expensive and overly complex for a small business such as us.
    Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket
    ----------------------------------->
    http://www.blinkimage.com

I would not touch Dell for that purpose. U can build a PC for 1k£ and then buy windows 2008/20013... Problem with dell that windows dont have drivers to all components and u have to install all manually from cmd line and so on. Hard and difficult- also patches never happen as far as I can see so I would just buy standard desktop pc, put win server on it and run it this way.
    CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

The only reason to use server I reckon is that it'll allow more connections to the machine at the same time than regular windows will. If you've got less than 10 machines in your setup then you're fine with 7 if it's only a file server.

Comment

Windows 7 is limited to 1 VPN connection. If you are going to ever set up cloud computing solution u need windows 7 for more than 1 VPN incoming connection. U will need VPN for licensing purposes and more...

Comment

Originally posted by DADAL View Post
          I would not touch Dell for that purpose. U can build a PC for 1k£ and then buy windows 2008/20013... Problem with dell that windows dont have drivers to all components and u have to install all manually from cmd line and so on. Hard and difficult- also patches never happen as far as I can see so I would just buy standard desktop pc, put win server on it and run it this way.
          Fair point. I've just been dabbling around the Scan Computers website. I have managed to put together the main components for somewhere in the region of £1600 +VAT, but this only uses SATA drives and I have included no OS. I am wary of SATA drives in a server (bad experiences in the past), so changing these to SAS drives would easily add £1k the build cost.

I am no stranger to building computers, but I just think that a server is a different matter. I can do without a workstation for a couple of hours, but not a server. Dell machines (presumably) are tested extensively to make sure all the bits talk to eachother properly.
          Kind Regards,
          Richard Birket

Comment

Would you be better off with a NAS of some kind instead then with lots of redundant sata backups?

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
              Would you be better off with a NAS of some kind instead then with lots of redundant sata backups?
              We've just been talking about that.
              Kind Regards,
              Richard Birket

Comment

humh... 1600 for server? what did you buy? I think I'd squeeze in 700£ + PCIE with SAS connections + Raid if necessary... that would probably cost 1k tbh to get a top level one...

U can get a 10gb lan card for around 100£ from what I remember so u might wrap up in 3k with top end server +hdds...

Id also get a 1gb (maybe) of 2x 512 ssd raid 0 for crucial work/simmulation/animation... should work like a dream with 10gb connection.

Comment

Originally posted by DADAL View Post
                  humh... 1600 for server? what did you buy? I think I'd squeeze in 700£ + PCIE with SAS connections + Raid if necessary... that would probably cost 1k tbh to get a top level one...

U can get a 10gb lan card for around 100£ from what I remember so u might wrap up in 3k with top end server +hdds...

Id also get a 1gb (maybe) of 2x 512 ssd raid 0 for crucial work/simmulation/animation... should work like a dream with 10gb connection.
                  XEON E5620 Westmore - £293
                  Supermicro X8DTL-i - £251.81
                  24GB Ram - £153.89
                  Tower Case - £191.74
                  6x iTB WD Red drives
                  LSI Megaraid card - £425.76 (mid-range one)
                  Gold class PSU - £147.42

(all prices inc VAT)

Obviously I'd do more research before a purchase, but this is mid-end stuff in general.
                  Kind Regards,
                  Richard Birket

Comment

Umh does it has to be xeon? Id go with i5/i3 and enterprise hdds... I have 4x wd re3 500gb from 3 years or so no issues so far...

Comment

Working...
                    X