Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real world scales

Hello everyone,

I'm busy trying to model a character within Max and I've hit an accuracy problem when working with meters as my scale set-up. Metric seems to be the obvious way to for me and of course keeping all my scales relative so everything is in proprtion is particularly important to me for this project.

Basically I'm working with tiny measurements for things like the eyelids etc and Max can't seem to cope, all the tools in my edit poly seem to want to work at large scales so if I extrude a point for example it seems to be either a massive amount or nothing at all.. very frustrating. I changed the decimal unit set up to 5 steps for more accuracy with some things but as I've said, not everything works correctly. Has anyone else had this trouble? I'm sure some of you architectural guys like to work with meters so what's the solution? It would be really nice if you could share it!

I really hope it's not a general problem with max and the solution is to use generic units.. that would suck so bad!

Anyway, thanks in advance!

JK

lol

OK, you're not gonna believe this but I've just found the solution.. argh . Well hopefully this will be useful for some other newbies like myself that have experienced the same problems. I think the fault fundamentally lies with Max! Basically, the key is not to change the scale system during a project, I wont go into the reasons why I did that as it'll just bore you to death. It was originally 'Generic' and then I changed it to 'Metric', seems Max doesn't like the conversion.. So I reset the scene, changed the default scale to Metric, restarted Max (dunno if you have to do that) and then merged the object into the scene with the new scale system and it seems to work ok now.. albeit not perfectly, can't extrude smoothly, steps are noticable..

JK

Comment

Working...
    X