UVW unwrapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UVW unwrapping

I seem to be fixated with UVW Unwrapping objects needlessly when probably a Box Map would do the trick but until I learn to ditch this habit does anyone have any recommendations for decent software/plugins that ease the task of UVW unwrapping? This is for use with 3ds Max generally and I find the native UVW Unwrap tools a bit annoying (maybe it's just an annoying process to be fair!)

I've tried using the TexTools plugin but it doesn't seem to run that smoothly with my version of Max and also a trial version of Unwrella which didn't do much for me.
    I suppose i'm not expecting a magic automatic button, although I would pay the earth for one, just a better toolset to save some time and headaches.

Headus uv layout seems to be an industry standard for organic bits...

Comment

Thanks, Headus certainly seems to come up a lot in searches and people have good things to say about it. I will definitely try it out in trial mode.

Comment

I use XrayUnwrap. It is super cheap, easy to use, and it works well. Prior to using XrayUnwrap, I would only unwrap using pelt mapping. I have found using XrayUnwrap to give much better results. Since I work in ArchViz, I also appreciate being able to easily unwrap non-quad-poly shapes with essentially no UV distortion. The only (sometimes) tedious part of the process is defining the seams. The rest is very easy. It's worth checking out. For the price, you really can't go wrong. XrayUnwrap Site
        -Andrew
        Last edited by ajroane; 17-05-2013, 11:28 PM. Reason: Added a hyperlink

Comment

XrayUnwrap here as well. Makes unwrapping relatively painless. I use it mainly for furniture. A great little program. Only problem is getting a version for MAX design. The other makes MAX crash to often.

Comment

Thankyou for the suggestion, they're definitely very different prospects (XrayUnwrap/HeadusUVLayout). I think I'm impressed enough by Headus UV that I'll purchase it if a project comes along that justifies the expense but in the meantime XrayUnwrap is at such a good price I'll probably get a copy right away. Looks pretty handy and if it does even slightly better than 3dsmax's native tools then it's got to be worth that price.

Comment

for freebies..

Roadkill (using Stef Kamoda's latest max script: https://sites.google.com/site/copypa...kill-maxscript)
              http://www.pullin-shapes.co.uk/page8.htm

Textools
              http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/sc...texture-artist
              regards
              steve blake - animator - designer
              www.stevenblakedesign.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by steveblake View Post
                Thanks, I have tried those in the past but Textools doesn't seem to run that smoothly for me with my current version of Max and the UVWUnwrap process is annoying enough without adding any further disfunction to it.

Comment

I love XRayunwrap and I became totally dependent on it. Problem is, the company is not good at keeping it current. They have just released the Max 2013 version! One thing to bear in mind if you're already in 2014.
                  Check my blog

Comment

Are you sure? Their page says its working for 2014 x64...
                    http://www.raylightgames.com/xrayunwrap/

I honestly don't even know why I bother with Max's unwrapping tools when pretty much all the third-party offerings are so cheap.
                    James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
                    Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

Originally posted by BBB3 View Post
                      I love XRayunwrap and I became totally dependent on it
                      I like it too, but unfortunately no design version yet. if there ever be one..

Comment

Originally posted by BBB3 View Post
                        I love XRayunwrap and I became totally dependent on it. Problem is, the company is not good at keeping it current. They have just released the Max 2013 version! One thing to bear in mind if you're already in 2014.
                        You're right, the developer went AWOL for a long while, but lately support has been good. I emailed two questions a couple of weeks ago, and both messages were answered by Fausto within 24 hours.

Comment

This looks pretty good too: http://www.unwrella.com/
                          Made by the folks who brought you BonesPro (which I love).
                          - Geoff

Comment

I am using the MAX 14 version on their site and so far no problems doing some fairly complicated unwrapping. I did request a version for design, that's what I use, and they responded back that it wasn't needed anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by TRGraphics View Post
                              I did request a version for design, that's what I use, and they responded back that it wasn't needed anymore.
                              um, it didn't work for me with 2013 design.. it just messed the native 3ds max unwrap and the plugin didn't work at all. must try again, maybe..

Comment

Working...
                              X