Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colour Callibration issues - Monitor and Printers

Hi all

At one site we just got couple of Dell U2412M. Out of the box the colours are a LOT more vibrant and contrasted than our previous consumer Samsung screens. So in general out the box things look pretty nice, although maybe a bit too contrasty.

Anyways we also got a ColorMunki Design to calibrate things. It appears I'm missing something here. I've calibrated the monitors, and the software asked me to lower the physical brightness of the screen to match the readings of the munki etc. It displayed some colours etc and eventually set the profile of the monitors. The new colours looks a bit wack. It could be that I got tuse to using the new screen for a week before the profiling and that's why it looks wack, but I dont think so. Images still looks nice, but I think the default settings looked a lot nicer.

OK on to the printers. I calibrated our main plotter. Things printed doesnt look the same as on screen. So I calibrated another printer, same story.

So my monitor profile is loaded. In photoshop I open an image and proof it to the printer and selected paper. The proof on screen look very GREY and almost blown out in some areas (8 bit image). When I print however, the print looks much nicer than the original jpg on screen. So the print looks both better than the original jpg, as well as the proofed version. Looking better isn't the point. The point of calibrating is to get same (or pretty close) prints as what you see on screen.

Now during proof and also when printing, I ticked and unticked all the setting but still no joy. Match paper colour, compensate black point etc. No Joy!

I know that the printer can't reproduce same colours as the monitor. That's what the proofing mode is for in Photoshop. But the proof looks nowhere near the actual print (on both printers)

Any tips?
    Last edited by Morne; 03-06-2013, 01:54 AM.
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Heya

Ok print and LCD are quite hard one. LCD is RGB print is CMYK. U cant match them 100%.

Anyway when you calibrate dells you usually have to darken them down alot. The Dell Default luminosity is at 200 where as it calibrators usually calibrate to standard brightness of reading paper in natural conditions. So it ask you to darken it down to a bout 120 lum more or less. This is normal.

If you want to print you need a lut color profile in photoshop to convert your RGB images in to CMYK. In Cs6 its a look up tool or something like that that u can just put at the top of ur adjustment layers to see RGB in CMYK mode...

When you calibrate stuff it calibrates to match the real color representations red=red black = black. So your CMYK print matches CMYK space and ur LCD RGB matches RGB space. What you need to do is to convert RGB to CMYK and then you can compare them...

Its quite complicated I'm still getting lost in all those calibrations...
    CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Originally posted by DADAL View Post
      U cant match them 100%.
      Yes I get that

Originally posted by DADAL View Post
      Anyway when you calibrate dells you usually have to darken them down alot. The Dell Default luminosity is at 200 where as it calibrators usually calibrate to standard brightness of reading paper in natural conditions. So it ask you to darken it down to a bout 120 lum more or less. This is normal.
      Thats what I've done

I followed Jeff Mottle's Colour Management tut and I'm sure I didn't miss a step anywhere.

Before you print, you can proof on screen what It will look like when you print. For this you go into proof mode and just select your relevant colour profile for the paper and printer. I select the one that the Munki gave me after calibrating the printer.

In Jeff's example they got a pretty good match. In my test it's nowhere near.
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

Can you post link to tut?

As to profing. You calibrated your printer and u got printer color profile. If you want to prof then you have to prof to that profile.

Maybe you have double profiling happening. You made sure you disabled all profiling and so on in printer settings(not photoshop) so it dont add profile on top of the profile you select in photoshop for print?

Thanks, bye.
        CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

http://www.thecgschool.com/training-...vray-advanced/

Look at the course outline. It was at the end of day1. It's about an hour long video and Jeff's covers most of the basics...

I even tried double assigning the profile, but it still looks the same... (in photoshop and in windows)
          Kind Regards,
          Morne

Comment

Working...
          X