Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 480p - Wide 854 or 848?

Hi all

I'm trying to get to the bottom of this elusive answer.

According to digital standards, is 480p 854 wide or 848?

If you scale HD wide to be 480 high, then it works out to 853.3333. So basically to get an even number it gets rounded to 854.
    BUT
    According to the 16X16 block encoding standard, it should be 848 wide - that's 6 pixels less. Does that mean to stick to the 16:9 aspect that the pixels are no longer square?

The 16X16 encoding block also doesnt make sense to me then for Full HD 1920 X 1080, because 1080 isnt dividable by 16, so the encoder has to make up stuff anyways.

So,
    To be technically correct, do I use 854 or 848?
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

I checked wikipedia for you and 854 is the max, but 848 is for mod16. Clicking on the mod16 link said that you need to be compatible with it if you're encoding to mpeg 4, because it has problems otherwise.

Are you?

Why 480p? It's such an odd resolution, I thought the last thing to use it was the dreamcast.

Comment

I have some old stuff in PAL 720 X 576 square pixel and also same in non square pixel (to make 1024X576 or widescreen dvd which just stretches the non square pixel actually)

So most things now days is 16:9, so I want to put a reel together from this old stuff finally and closest to 16:9 standard that will suite my original low res stuff seems to be 480p. I could go 360p, but that seems a tad small... (not that 480p isnt hehe)

Originally posted by cubiclegangster View Post
      Why 480p? It's such an odd resolution, I thought the last thing to use it was the dreamcast.
      Happy birthday to you by the way!
      Last edited by Morne; 22-07-2013, 12:37 PM.
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

edit it all at 854. if you cant export it and it doesn't work, crop it in to 848.

And thanks, ha. I didn't realize that was visible...
        Last edited by Neilg; 22-07-2013, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cubiclegangster View Post
          And thanks, ha. I didn't realize that was visible...
          It was on the front page of the forum at the bottom. There was a section "Today's Birthdays" just above or below "Forum Statistics". It was just by chance that I spotted it, because I never look there
          Kind Regards,
          Morne

Comment

Working...
          X