max render window not showing up on remote desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• max render window not showing up on remote desktop

This is an odd one. Up until this afternoon, everything I sent to render over the network was fine. Then suddenly, no more render window. The status comes up - so I can see how far through it is, i just cant see the render itself. If I switch off network rendering I get a window locally, it's switched on and is still checked (albeit greyed out) when i turn network rendering on.

I thought it may be a multi monitor thing, but when i start the server on my own machine I don't get a window either. It's just any network job kills my render window.
    Tried the task manager -> bring to front thing and nothing.
    It's kind of weird, and particularly bothersome because it's a friday and I cant see a single thing on any of these renders so now I have to come in tomorrow to check them.

Up until about 3pm today it had never happened and now it happens on everything I send, even scenes that were working this morning - opening a fresh scene, resetting it and sending it to the network doesn't work either. it's baffling. Anyone ever seen this?

for some reason i have this as well
    i have to go to task manager and click on the process 'bring to front'

Comment

Doing that doesn't work for me, it's a different problem.

Comment

bump?

I've not seen my render windows at all since, and can see no way to bring them back. it's starting to really annoy me. I'm sick of having to wait for a full 1hr+ render to check some minor things, and sending stills at a lower res for everything i'm doing right now is really slowing me down.

Comment

Hmm.

All I can think of:

1. Rendered Frame Window, is ticked when submitting the job.
          2. Render window is off outside of the monitor screen view
          3. Render window has been minimized and needs to be brought back

Does this only happen in a single file? Or on a specific computer?
          Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

If it's the VRay VFB you could try "Show last VFB", as the focus should now be on the VFB press alt+space, then m (for English Windows at least), then press an arrow key and then move your mouse pointer. This trick brought back many of my windows.

If that doesn't work there's a reset all max windows on (probably) scriptspot.

There's also a 'Rendered Frame Window' option the the common max render settings.
            Rens Heeren
            Generalist
            WEBSITE - IMDB - LINKEDIN - OSL SHADERS

Comment

Rendered frame window is ticked - it works locally, but not if I send it through the network and start the server on my machine.
              Al files since it started. Fresh files after resetting max, and old files which previously worked.
              I've disabled my second monitor and restarted all the render nodes, still nothing.
              This is all I see. the machine i sent it from is 1920x1080 with the second monitor unplugged/disabled, as is my remote window. bring to front/switch to just makes the progress window flicker like it's only pulling that up.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	851093

I'll try using the VFB, I usually disable it for animations though because I cant stand how it handles saving separate elements when doing revisions.
              Last edited by Neilg; 19-12-2013, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Does it display a render window as well under the max icon on the taskbar? If so click on that and try the alt+space thing.
                Rens Heeren
                Generalist
                WEBSITE - IMDB - LINKEDIN - OSL SHADERS

Comment

Maybe try flushing out the backburner.xml file? Maybe something is stuck in there. I've had other issues fixed through that method.

C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\backburner\backburner.xml

Delete the file and it should be automatically re-created
                  Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rens View Post
                    Does it display a render window as well under the max icon on the taskbar? If so click on that and try the alt+space thing.
                    nope, just the name of the max file. does it normally list them separately?

no dice on the backburner.xml. Tried all the methods for bringing missing windows back up through remote desktop and the window simply doesnt exist. :/

Comment

VFB works...

RIP max frame buffer. It's been good and you've treated me well until now, but i guess this is it. I'll pour a 40 out for you tonight.

Thanks for the help guys. I'd still like to solve the mystery of why the max one wont show up but at least i can see what's rendering.
                      Last edited by Neilg; 19-12-2013, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X