No announcement yet.

Graphics Crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Christian: It's all good, man! For the most part, you are right. I too have been doing this a LONG time and have had great success with the Game cards.

For me, things started to change when the hardware deviated between the two, if even just a little. The core processor remains the same, yet the GPU motherboards are tailored for a completely different market. Wireframe hardware acceleration is HUGE on the Quadro line for what we are working on. Apparently, that is more than just a driver tweak. I wish that feature could be moved over to the game cards, because it would make them a LOT more appealing. Until then, I'm sticking with the Quadros at work and my game card at home.

I don't care if I can't get 60fps on Crysis 3 @ 2560x1440. (What's a video card performance discussion without dropping Crysis in the mix! HA!)

From a business stand point, I need reliability and consistency. I'm not playing the which driver should I use game, only to find it works great with After Effects, but sucks with Cad and Max. The less time I spend installing drivers, the more time I get to make money. So I guess in some sense, I am paying for that consistency along with a couple of extra features.

The biggest problem with Profession vs Game video card debate is solely tied to the work needing to be done and the software being used. So what works for one may not work for another. If I go strictly by benchmarks, the Titan would be the card for us, yet it fails to perform at an acceptable level in production. I would love to have 3 x GTx 780 cards in my machine instead of a single Quadro K5000, but that's just the way it played out here. RT would have been sweet!

My suggestion has always been start from the bottom and work your way up. Utilize the return policies if you are not happy. In many cases, I have ordered all three and heavily test them in the same machine over the course of a week.
    Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
    Midwest Studios

Comment

I'd also suggest returning that quadro/cancelling the order and trying another. Unless you need the memory for RT, even a titan is overkill for anything within architecture. the 780, 770 etc. even the 670 is a great card and can push around 20million polys without breaking a sweat. And would cost under 1/4 of the quadro at $400.

Your definition of a 'large' scene is very different to someone who uses manufacturing data, and that extra horsepower doesn't even come into play & wont ever be used. In our 20+ million poly scenes (before proxies) there is no difference in shaded view. And you get $1400 left over.
      Last edited by Neilg; 19-12-2013, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Well, it arrive today, and I am running it. Now, my hard drives are hanging out to let it fit, but it's up and running.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131219_103206.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	487.8 KB
ID:	851094
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com
        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM