Windows XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP

As you probably know, Windows XP is no longer going to be supported as of April 8th. So, does anybody have a way to save money? We have about 85 XP workstations currently in service. How many of you are moving to Google? I am going to find out, but most of our users have a PC to email and maybe Word now and then. I have a Surface 2, which comes with Office and it's all most would need. Also, I lived for about 6 months in my Chromebook, with Google Docs, which would be sufficient for most.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Dump those 85 licenses on ur render boxes.
    CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

This is for my 9-5, so they are not mine to use.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Put good anty virus, spyware, firewall and just use those 85 like nothing happen.

Comment

That might not be a good idea. The 3rd party vendors (anty virus, spyware, firewall) will probably stop supporting it, too

Originally posted by DADAL View Post
          Put good anty virus, spyware, firewall and just use those 85 like nothing happen.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Well, if there's a decent IT person, you could just as easily move to Xubuntu and OpenOffice on those machines. I've been using it for years for email and Office. It's easy to network to Windows machines. Downside is setting it up, and there is a bit of adjustment to using Linux - but very minor from the desktop user POV. I know it's a long shot, but worth the thought.

Comment

I have used both Ubuntu and Open Office (LibraOffice) and I think that's all most would need, but I don't think I could persuade people to move in that direction. I am thinking Chromebook with Google Doc or Surface 2 with Amazon Workspaces.

Originally posted by andybot_cg View Post
              Well, if there's a decent IT person, you could just as easily move to Xubuntu and OpenOffice on those machines. I've been using it for years for email and Office. It's easy to network to Windows machines. Downside is setting it up, and there is a bit of adjustment to using Linux - but very minor from the desktop user POV. I know it's a long shot, but worth the thought.
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Wait, are you talking about just updating the OS or replacing the machines?

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
                  That might not be a good idea. The 3rd party vendors (anty virus, spyware, firewall) will probably stop supporting it, too
                  Dont use ones with a subscription model. their databases will still get updated.

I dont know why this is a big deal, they're not going to force you to uninstall xp. they're just no longer supporting it. Leave them as they are.

Comment

Windows XP on Patch Tuesday

There has been quite a lot of talk recently about the end of support for Windows XP. After more than a decade of good service, the old girl is being put out to pasture, and this means that as of April there will be no more patches and updates released. But in the meantime, there are still some known problems that need to be fixed, and Microsoft is doing what it can to ensure that any security holes are plugged in time.

This month's Patch Tuesday is an excellent case in point. Back in November, Microsoft issued a security advisory about a kernel vulnerability that affects both Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. The vulnerability does require a potential attacker to have valid login credentials and "could not be exploited remotely or by anonymous users".

But the problem is being address in this month's Patch Tuesday. It is ranked as being as "important" update, and it is something of a landmark as there is the potential for it to become the latest update ever made to Windows XP.

Do you feel comfortable continuing to use Windows XP knowing that should a major security problem be discovered, it will not be fixed? We already know that there still are quite a number of XP users out there What happens when (and it is going to be a case of when rather than if) another problem is found and Microsoft does not fix it. Will this be enough to convince you to upgrade, or will you rely on other security tools to keep you, your computer and your data safe?
                    Bobby Parker
                    www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

The machines are probably just as old as the O/S, so it'll probably be hardware, too.
                      Originally posted by andybot_cg View Post
                      Wait, are you talking about just updating the OS or replacing the machines?
                      Bobby Parker
                      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Well the chance of u getting attacked are very slim... Unless you are secret bank or an organisation that holds lots of $$ which hackers could access... I doubt u ever had any hack attempt and I doubt u will in future as win XP as it fades out, risk of attack fades out as well simply because hackers are more itnerested in win vista(not sure if any1 is interested in this crap) but win 7/8 are main targets. So I would just get proper antyvirus and security and keep on using them like nothing ever happen.

Comment

Microsoft's venerable Windows XP operating system is six times more likely to be successfully hacked than newer Windows 7 and Windows 8 personal computers.
                          http://www.usatoday.com/story/cybertruth/2013/10/29/windows-xp-users-six-times-more-likely-to-be-hacked/3287615/
                          Bobby Parker
                          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

yeah but nobody is even going to try. doesnt matter if it's easier. nobody wants to hack your office and nobody has tried, you're not working on half life 2 and you arent a bank.

The only thing you need to worry about is spyware from workers going on the web. but any anti spyware/virus will have you covered and work fine forever.

Comment

can I get a written guarantee
                              Originally posted by cubiclegangster View Post
                              yeah but nobody is even going to try. doesnt matter if it's easier. nobody wants to hack your office and nobody has tried, you're not working on half life 2 and you arent a bank.

The only thing you need to worry about is spyware from workers going on the web. but any anti spyware/virus will have you covered and work fine forever.
                              one in five small businesses falls victim to cybercrime each year
                              http://www.pcworld.com/article/2046300/hackers-put-a-bulls-eye-on-small-business.html
                              Last edited by glorybound; 13-01-2014, 04:03 PM.
                              Bobby Parker
                              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X