Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow 3ds max rollouts?

Hi folks,

Anyone else experiencing really slow rollouts and panels in max? I'm talking about the whole modifier panel when you click on an object, the material browser, things like that. Maybe it's because I have too many plugins installed but I doubt it - running Forest Pack Pro, RailClone and Vray. That's about it I think. Running the latest nvidia drivers on a GTX 770 4GB, win 7 pro, 32gb ram, 2560x1600 30". Windows is in Classic mode, so no Aero. Not sure what else could affect it? 3ds max design 2014, sp4 (yeh the deadly update - although this problem was also visible in sp3 and earlier).

Any ideas? I can't pin-point it to a specific change in the software config.

Oh and bringing up the Render dialog takes ages too - sometimes several seconds. I only have Vray installed no other 3rd party renderers.

Cheers,
    Last edited by alexyork; 06-03-2014, 04:56 AM.
    Alex York
    Founder of Atelier York - Bespoke Architectural Visualisation
    www.atelieryork.co.uk

Yes, it happens to me - f.e. creating a Standard material in the material editor may take several seconds of rollout flashing, with or without V-Ray installed. I've no idea why or how to fix it. It doesn't seem to happen after a fresh Max install, but at some point something flips somewhere... I have to do more research.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
      Yes, it happens to me - f.e. creating a Standard material in the material editor may take several seconds of rollout flashing, with or without V-Ray installed. I've no idea why or how to fix it. It doesn't seem to happen after a fresh Max install, but at some point something flips somewhere... I have to do more research.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      Good to know it's not just me then. Yeh I really don't think it's anything to do with vray, as you say. Who knows. Maybe video driver-related. Might try resetting the UI as well. Maybe something gets corrupted?
      Alex York
      www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Resetting to the default UI doesn't make any difference. So we can rule that out.
        Alex York
        www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Ive had these problems since Max 2012, I always just assumed that was one of Max's delightful quirks.
          Seriously irritating though.

Comment

turn off nitrous
            Dmitry Vinnik
            Silhouette Images Inc.
            ShowReel:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
            https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Originally posted by Morbid Angel View Post
              turn off nitrous
              use what though? Old school D3D? I thought nitrous was supposed to be the fastest one?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexP View Post
                use what though? Old school D3D? I thought nitrous was supposed to be the fastest one?
                Maybe its fast, anytime I had it on though, it caused more problems then it solved.
                Dmitry Vinnik
                Silhouette Images Inc.
                ShowReel:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Also, have you tried reverting to the old material browser.
                  Many Thanks
                  Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by RE:FORM_STUDIOS View Post
                    Also, have you tried reverting to the old material browser.
                    Yes I'm using the old Mat Browser - can't stand the new one. And I've tried reverting to standard DX9 but that doesn't help. I don't think these are the issues, sadly.
                    Alex York
                    www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

I've seen this problem with graphical Java applications running in background. For some reason, the Java GUI causes a major slowndown in the Max interface. For example, with Freemind.

Perhaps the problem happens with other applications as well.
                      Carlos Quintero
                      iToo Software
                      www.itoosoft.com

Comment

Originally posted by Itoosoft View Post
                        I've seen this problem with graphical Java applications running in background. For some reason, the Java GUI causes a major slowndown in the Max interface. For example, with Freemind.

Perhaps the problem happens with other applications as well.
                        Very interesting. I'll have a look into whether or not I have any java-based applications running. Thanks Carlos.
                        Alex York
                        www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                        X