Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Python vs MaxScript - Your Opinion?

Hi all

What is your opinion about the inclusion of Python into Max? I know Maxscript is very tightly integrated, but do you think we'll get to a stage where Maxscript is "dead" and Python is thriving?

I guess basically what I'm asking is if you think AD will kill of Maxscript eventually?
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Originally posted by Morne View Post
    Hi all

What is your opinion about the inclusion of Python into Max? I know Maxscript is very tightly integrated, but do you think we'll get to a stage where Maxscript is "dead" and Python is thriving?

I guess basically what I'm asking is if you think AD will kill of Maxscript eventually?
    Yes maxscript will die off. Given the fact how many more coders there is for python and that u can hock up maya/max/nuke and more programs together using python its the best dev solution in my eyes. I'm happy max is python based now as I can develop lots of tools on it and port from maya.
    CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

I do not think MaxScript will die, not in the few next releases.
      It will probably always stay there, but will not be updated and / or supported, but will remain there.
      Lots of things in 3dsMax itself are still MaxScript based.. I doubt that everything will be recoded
      Alain Blanchette
      www.pixistudio.com

Comment

MaxScript won't die off unless the way Python has been implemented changes significantly.

MaxScript is far, far easier to use in Max than Python. To code in Python you need a deep understanding of the Max SDK and probably experience developing tools in either C# or C++. Whereas if you know a little about programming you can learn enough to write a simple tool in MaxScript in a couple of hours.

As for porting tools from other applications like Maya it would only work if they have very little interaction with Maya like a tool for restarting render servers.
        Dan Brew

Comment

If I want to write a tool for modelling components parametrically, could I do that with just maxscript?

For example it would ask a bunch of parameters and based on your selection it would create geometry
          Like a long "box" and on top of the box will be spheres. Then depending on the lenght of the box, the spheres automatically gets added or removed to stay on top. Also they will have various materials etc.

If this is possible with maxscript, could I protect my code somehow? Is there any security measures to prevent people copying or modifying or looking at the code for my script?
          Kind Regards,
          Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
            If I want to write a tool for modelling components parametrically, could I do that with just maxscript?

For example it would ask a bunch of parameters and based on your selection it would create geometry
            Like a long "box" and on top of the box will be spheres. Then depending on the lenght of the box, the spheres automatically gets added or removed to stay on top. Also they will have various materials etc.

If this is possible with maxscript, could I protect my code somehow? Is there any security measures to prevent people copying or modifying or looking at the code for my script?
            That could definitely be written in Maxscript.

As for protecting your code, you can encrypt your scripts. I have read however that they can be cracked. I guess this is true of virtually all programs/languages (ask Vlado).
            Dan Brew

Comment

Working...
            X