Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to get good fillet in triangled editable mesh

hi
    i woul´d hope for a tool or trick that does good fillet for the green and red line in this triangled geometry.
    no faked edge rendering but easy picking the edges and filleting them with about 20cm to 1 meter radius to get nice smooth radius.
    max poly chamfer ends in bad geometry

thanks for tips

thomes

Click image for larger version

Name:	edgefillet.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	879713

Is this a terrain? The scale you are using makes me think so.

The Populate:Terrain plugin will give a better result, easier to work with.

Then you can use the Edit Poly paint deformation tools to smooth out hard edges and worry less about bad geometry.

Ideally, if you need that slope to be precise, you will need to make more contour lines for this area to properly drive the calculation.
    Ben Steinert
    pb2ae.com

Comment

Ahh....easy fix for a good fillet here.

1. Grab the faces on one side of the fillet and do an 'inset' by half the fillet amount.
      2. Grab the opposite side verts of the fillet that also got inset by the above operation
      3. Turn on "Constraint to edge" (Shift+X, default)
      4. Slide them back to the other verts and do a weld with a 0.001 threshold
      5. Repeat for the other side

Make sense?
      Colin Senner

Comment

thanks for your tips.
        the terrain is as it is. we maybe do a new one with populateterrain for better editing.thanks ben

colin thanks, good point to inset the edges at both sides of the edge to get clean quads! difficult it gets with the sloping surface that fades out to zero.

why is there no script that does this inset only at both sides of the edge with just intime chamfering? am i the only one with such problems of triangulated geometry...woul´d be something to sell i think.

Comment

Working...
        X