Xeon Hyperthreading help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xeon Hyperthreading help

Does anyone know of any good benchmark sites concerning xeon hyperthreading and 3ds max and xp ?

any help would be most apprieciated.

trying to persuade my boss to let me have xp on my machine's

Thanks
    Natty
    http://www.rendertime.co.uk

benchmark

You can check intel's website under workstation and server product...im using dual xeon 3.06 with 1mb cache each...with xp professional....and it flyies...stable and reliable...

by the way it handles ram above 2gb pretty well.
    Reza Bahari
    visual3d@streamyx.com
    013-3428162

Comment

Have a look on the hardware review sites in my links page natty. you should find all you need there

-dave
      Cheers,
      -dave
      ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

thanks Syclone ,
        Natty

Comment

Any Time

-dave
          Cheers,
          -dave
          ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

I would rather leave hyperthreading disabled if I were you, especially when working with vray, natty! I was very disappointed due to stability problems and the overall performance of a dual xeon with ht on or of is in my experience not quite noticable.

Comment

Maybe we need to start catologing the hardware of those having problems with HT and Xeons. We have 25 dual 2.8's on the SuperMicro x5dal-g MB all running HT, statisticaly they do not crash any more than the other boxes on the farm, actually I think the Dual p3 1g's are the most unstable. I know others have said that HT is working great for them too... So I would not advise people not to use HT, I think they should try it, if it is not stable then turn it off. The performance gain is definately worth a try.
              Eric Boer
              Dev

Comment

im using dual 2.8GHz XEON on a supermicro mobo and it seems stable enough for me. although recently ive been getting that system messing up on network renders. It will just close max although on the other computer with the network manager it would say that its still working. i would need to disconnect the XEON from the job and reconnect it so that it will start back working again

---------------------------------------------------
                MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

I've had HT on my dual XEONs at work for almost a month now......no problems at all, whether working on large stills or as part if a renderfarm.

I would think that if it was a real problem between vray and HT, we all, or most of us would see problems and probably chaos would address those quite fast......

paul.

Comment

My Dual Xeon has been Rock solid WITH HT since I built it in Jan, heres the specs:

2x Intel Xeon 2.8ghz CPU's
                    1x Supremicro X5DAL-G Motherboard
                    1x ASUS V9950 Ultra GeForce FX Video card
                    1x Antec True Power 550W PS
                    2x Micron PC2100 512mb
                    4x Western Digital 120gb SATA HD's 7200rpm 8mb cache
                    1x Western Digital 80gb IDE 7200rpm 8mb cache
                    1X Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live sound card
                    1x Dlink 10/100 nic
                    1x 3Ware Escalade 8506-4 4-Channel SATA Raid Controller
                    1x Coolermaster Wavemaster case
                    1x LG Super Multi DVD Writer 8x8 DVD+/-RW
                    1x LiteOn 4X DVD+/-RW

Running on Windows XP Pro

-dave
                    Cheers,
                    -dave

Comment

thanks for all your reply's guy's ... im still undecided, is there a great advantage to HT and rendering ?
                      Natty

Comment

it seems that way........probably 15 to 30% increase w/ vray.....

paul.

Comment

The difference in speed is very obvious. I would say on my system rendering is at least 25% faster with hyperthreading and totally stable.

That means I would have to go from a 2.8 xeon to a 3.5 xeon to see the same performance gain while rendering. The problem is they don't exist yet.

It's also great fun to see four buckets going at it on my screen

Tony

Comment

Looks like we all made a good choice with the supermicro

Soon, maybe a month? the 800mhz fsb Xeons should show up I am saving my pennies...
                            Eric Boer
                            Dev

Comment

Working...
                            X