caustics for idiots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• caustics for idiots

I always fail big time trying to do caustics. I don't suppose anyone has a basic scene set up in centimeters for how to do caustics for a standard pool for arch viz use??

I'll be lighting it with a HDRi but i dont care if it uses that trick that Bertrand linked to (http://bertrand-benoit.com/blog/2011...ustics-anyone/)

pretty please!

a free HDRi sky for the first ones to help!
    www.peterguthrie.net
    www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
    www.pg-skies.net/

Usually all you have to do is to enable caustics and hit multiplier to 99999 untill u see caustics and then slowly lower it down untill its what you like. Also use point lights - as it is the fastest caustic generator - IBL might be a bit heavy on caustics...
    CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

tried that.. not working for me
      www.peterguthrie.net
      www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

well, I successfully confirmed that I am an idiot at the very least.. I had affect shadows turned on so wasnt getting refractive caustics!

NOT having a good day!
        www.peterguthrie.net
        www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

Umh in vray output window, does it say generating caustics? Also make sure in caustics settings the search distance and max density(or something named similarly) have value bigger than 0.
          CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

out of interest in case anyone knows, how do the scene units affect caustics? (search distance etc)
            www.peterguthrie.net
            www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

not sure if you have seen this already? but its an absolutely life saver when it comes to caustics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2c8cSArXnM

Comment

dont forget to do a foggy caustic pass under the water, ha.

Comment

all sorts of splishy splashy bubble under the water etc. shit going on

Click image for larger version

Name:	splishsplosh.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	852090
                  www.peterguthrie.net
                  www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

that looks great dude, nice one! is that foam phoenix?

Comment

Can you send me the scene for this? Unfortunately caustics tend to be related to the scene size etc, so it's difficult to give a general advice.

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

sent you an email Vlado. If you have any time to look at it, feel free to post findings here.
                        www.peterguthrie.net
                        www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

Looks great, Peter. And thanks for sharing that tutorial - what a clever work-around!
                          Alex York
                          Founder of Atelier York - Bespoke Architectural Visualisation
                          www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

I've been struggling to get some nice crisp realistic looking caustics for an outdoor swimming pool and as far as my research on the subject goes, it's pretty much dependent on the depth of the pool and the geometry of the surface of the water. and if you really want something good for high res images you really need to work on that geometry.

WALEE / www.walee.com

Comment

One of the most important thing is also the surface itself. Just some noise pattern doesn´t work to well. Here are some pool test I did some years ago with Reaktor Water (RIP sweet prince). It was the best solution for realistic water surfaces.
                              http://sorceress.netfrag.org/optix/s_caustics_01.mov
                              http://sorceress.netfrag.org/optix/s...orwater_01.mov
                              When working with caustics from Lights, I ´d suggest using standard direct lights. For me those are the most predictable. No need to turn the multiplier up by factor 10000
                              (It´s only spot light that need to turned up by that factor as far as i remember). Also keep the radius of the light as small as possible. It´s not a good idea to take for example a sun that illuminates a whole scene as caustic emitter for a glas standing on a table. Make an extra light only for caustics that just covers the necessary area.
                              Last edited by samuel_bubat; 19-11-2014, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X