Click image for larger version

Name:	xgen-cylinders-mississippi_river_delta_905.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	576.1 KB
ID:	880537
    http://leegriggs.wordpress.com/2014/06/28/xgen-color/

He is using Xgen for Maya:
    http://area.autodesk.com/tutorials/c..._a_texture_map

How would you go about getting similar results in 3DS Max? Maybe one could use Parray with a texture map for the particle generation?

I love the precisely placed primitives and the possibility the density options give:

Name:	download.jpg
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	880538Click image for larger version

Name:	download (1).jpg
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	880539
    Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
    www.AddYourLight.com
    Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Ive been playing with Forest Pack to achieve similar results.
    Provided you have the ram to get the distribution dense enough it works very well.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexP View Post
      Ive been playing with Forest Pack to achieve similar results.
      Provided you have the ram to get the distribution dense enough it works very well.
      Thats a fabulous idea!
      are you talking about RAM for the rendering or the distribution in the viewport (cause that could be solved with a point cloud I guess)..
      If for the rendering, it shouldnt be a problem if using VrayProxys, no?
      Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
      www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

Originally posted by MANUEL_MOUSIOL View Post
        Thats a fabulous idea!
        are you talking about RAM for the rendering or the distribution in the viewport (cause that could be solved with a point cloud I guess)..
        Grant Warwick has promised us a free tutorial on this specific matter using ForestPack. Check his facebook page (4th post or something): https://www.facebook.com/masteringcgi?ref=ts&fref=ts

Today on Ronens blog I came across an Area tutorial showing how to use texture maps to control primitives in Xgen/ Arnold.
        Unfortunately for Xgen, Forest Pack is God when it comes to scattering and I've been using this technique for a few years now to great effect in production.

The Best part is there is no technical expressions or other complex nonsense required to set things up in Max, it's all possible in a clean and easy to understand interface.
        Animation, displacement, layered textures including height gradients and forest color plus a huge number of other features are available.

Below I've linked to the Xgen tutorial and attached a couple images of my own. I don't know how much geometry Xgen or Arnold can truly handle but if you were looking to create this effect I'll be creating a free tutorial today for all of you.

In the past I've even taken it one step further to create 3D Painting effects so stay tuned and I'll get the tutorial up ASAP.

http://area.autodesk.com/tutorials/c...ture_map#step6
        A.

---------------------
        www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

oooooh! that looks promising! I am excited!
          Probably its not too hard with Forest Pack, but I am looking forward to a tutorial of him!
          Thanks for the heads up!
          www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

Thats a fabulous idea!
            For the rendering. I could be wrong, but I don't think proxys would be any help as the individual object is only a few faces (if using a box for example)
            I was potentially trying to cover too large an area

Comment

Forest Pack renders instanced geometry faster than Proxies. Forest does its own memory management either way
              Kind Regards,
              Morne

Comment

I dont know why you need a tutorial, all the forest pack controls have a section where you can have it driven by a map. color, scale, even the object it uses.

There's forest color for controlling the diffuse (select 'get color from map') http://docs.itoosoft.com/display/FOR...K/Forest+Color
                transforms using a map - http://docs.itoosoft.com/display/FORESTPACK/Transform
                using a map to change objects - http://docs.itoosoft.com/display/FOR...ap+-+Diversity

Comment

Bertrand Benoit has jumped in on this too and he took it a little further haha: http://bertrand-benoit.com/blog/2014/08/07/griggles/
                  A.

---------------------
                  www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

The floodgates are open, should we take bets on the number of these images submitted to various forums over the next 2 weeks?

I'm going with 15 unique users and 4 images per post on average.

Comment

Originally posted by Neilg View Post
                      The floodgates are open, should we take bets on the number of these images submitted to various forums over the next 2 weeks?

I'm going with 15 unique users and 4 images per post on average.
                      haha, yeah, its going to be crazy. I mean, its so easy to make something neat! I just had a first go, nothing special, just a first 20 minute test. It is really fun!

Name:	forestpack_patterntest.jpg
Size:	560.5 KB
ID:	853928Click image for larger version

Name:	forestpack_patterntest2.jpg
Size:	502.0 KB
ID:	853929
                      Bertrand Benoit had some nice ideas though, so just throwing out some primitives from a pattern wont cut it

I will play around a bit more with this in the next weeks.
                      www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

just throwing out some primitives from a pattern wont cut it
                        can you use forest as an object inside another forest...?

Comment

can you use forest as an object inside another forest...?
                          Yes, here is a tutorial using that technique.
                          Even it's possible to randomize colors within the inner object (Forest Color->Tint/Map by element).

Interesting thread by the way.
                          Carlos Quintero
                          iToo Software
                          www.itoosoft.com

Comment

Haha! I'm not ashamed to admit that I've started mine!

Ok, I am a little ashamed.
                            MDI Digital
                            moonjam

Comment

Originally posted by AJ Jefferies View Post
                              Haha! I'm not ashamed to admit that I've started mine!

Ok, I am a little ashamed.
                              looking forward to seeing it! we have to get really creative so not to bore Neilg
                              www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

Working...
                              X