Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting an object's border with a spline/parametric curve

Hi all,

I have an urgent problem, and hope that maybe someone in the community will know how to solve it.
    I'm modelling a shoe, based on an STL file from 3d scan od the shoe. I'm using Geomagic for cleaning/repairing and creating patches/grids based upon the scanned model, to be later used in 3ds max for rendering. This one shoe is giving me a headache - it has lots of broguing along the edges, and I have no idea how to model the details fast and easy. I'm pretty sure there is some way to cut those triangles in the model's border using either spline as a reference or parametric input (height/width of a single triangle) - by adding the triangles to the border or cutting them in an extended mesh (both options are equally viable). But I have no idea which software can be of use in this case, and more importantly - how. I was thinking about brute force approwach - extending the border and cutting the triangles in max with boolean, but this would leave a very scrambled mesh, and from my experience with booolean it's not as reliable as I would like. And since I have more than one shoe to model, I need something faster, more refined and ellegant.

Attached are some photos of the brogue detail and screenshot of the model in Geomagic/3ds max.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Maciej

Click image for larger version

Name:	broguing_003_resize.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	506.0 KB
ID:	880736

Click image for larger version

Name:	broguing_geo_1.jpg
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	880734Click image for larger version

Name:	broguing_max_1.jpg
Size:	444.7 KB
ID:	880735
    Last edited by palibebeh; 19-09-2014, 04:35 AM.
    the purpose of a ninja is to flip out and kill people.
    the purpose of an architect is to flip out and design for people.

My approach would be to remove a few rows of poly, near the outside. Draw on the side a section of that <triangle zone> do a path deform and attach them together. I'm not sure it's the simplest process however..
    Alain Blanchette
    www.pixistudio.com

Comment

Working...
    X