Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Film maker wants use of an animation - how to cost ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Film maker wants use of an animation - how to cost ?

So, I've never costed for something like this. I haven't a clue how to gauge it.

A film maker company wants to use an animation I created in an education based Public Service Announcement. I'm assuming they will cut it and use it with other types of film/animation. They want me to quote for - All media - North America and internet worldwide - 1 year term and 5 year term.

Any ideas ?
    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

This is for photography, but might give you a starting point.

http://www.the-aop.org/information/usage-calculator
    Check out my models on 3dOcean

Comment

Thanks for that. I guess the B.U.R. would be the original cost to produce the animation. It's a personal animation so I guess I'll have to work out the time it took.
      Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by stevesideas View Post
        Thanks for that. I guess the B.U.R. would be the original cost to produce the animation. It's a personal animation so I guess I'll have to work out the time it took.
        I wouldn't do it like that - he didn't commission it or get to comment, that'll be insanely high. plus it's for photographers. i just typed in the same numbers for a recent animation we made (with the same usage details as in the contract) and the result was $850 thousand dollars. the original job was only 25k...
        even if you spent a week on it that tool still gives quotes in the hundreds of thousands.

shutterstock sells a hd clip for $80 with the usage rights for anything. other sites have usage options and prices up to $150 per clip. i'd price it like a few clips of stock footage.
        Last edited by Neilg; 12-01-2015, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Ask him what rough budget he had set aside for it - if he answers then you'll know if you're under pricing it or they only had twenty bucks for it and it's not worth your hassle.

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking those prices were silly. I tried the same thing.

I already emailed them asking what kind of budget they have so I guess I'll hear soon. They are waiting to get a few quotes in for other animation/film and will be letting me know the rough costs.
            Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Working...
            X