Imported Body Objects - How to clean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alan Iglesias View Post
    I just spoke to nPower Software President Dave Gill (858-592-8866) and they would love to work with you regarding these issues. Please give him a call so that if the nPower software you are using has to be improved somehow, you both can work together to make it happen!

Kindest regards,

-Alan
    I have found that as well, with smaller assemblies I usually prefer to use nPower but on the lager ones I find its faster and better to use Okino's importer. But now that Ive been testing using SAT files O M G! its almost FUN to import the files lol
    Cheers,
    -dave
    ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

Originally posted by Syclone1 View Post
      I have found that as well, with smaller assemblies I usually prefer to use nPower but on the lager ones I find its faster and better to use Okino's importer. But now that Ive been testing using SAT files O M G! its almost FUN to import the files lol
      Whoa! Let's not get carried away! LOL ;P
      Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
      Midwest Studios

Comment

I just spoke to nPower Software President Dave Gill (858-592-8866) and they would love to work with you regarding these issues. Please give him a call so that if the nPower software you are using has to be improved somehow, you both can work together to make it happen!

Kindest regards,

-Alan
        I would love nothing more than to be able to work directly with Dave and the nPower staff. Unfortunately I'm buried up to my eyeballs in NDAs. I believe showing the problem on screen compared to trying to "describe" the issue(s) have been my biggest hurdle. Currently, I'm not allowed to do screen sharing or any other remote viewing of these large projects, clearly illustrating the weaknesses. I'm stuck! It sucks! I will push again for clearance regarding screen sharing and remote viewing. I need to do the same with Autodesk on another bug we encountered. Damn these NDAs!!
        Midwest Studios

Comment

Originally posted by Donald2B View Post
          I would love nothing more than to be able to work directly with Dave and the nPower staff. Unfortunately I'm buried up to my eyeballs in NDAs. I believe showing the problem on screen compared to trying to "describe" the issue(s) have been my biggest hurdle. Currently, I'm not allowed to do screen sharing or any other remote viewing of these large projects, clearly illustrating the weaknesses. I'm stuck! It sucks! I will push again for clearance regarding screen sharing and remote viewing. I need to do the same with Autodesk on another bug we encountered. Damn these NDAs!!
          I hear you on that one, I'm in the same boat working for our R&D dept where there's some things Ive worked on that even only certain people in the company can see, let alone maybe 2% of what Ive done has gone public, which sometimes can really suck.
          Cheers,
          -dave
          ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

I try not to think about that! LOL! It's too depressing.
            Midwest Studios

Comment

I try not to think about that! LOL! It's too depressing.
              LMAO yes it is
              Cheers,
              -dave

Comment

Now that I've been working with the iges file and the imported Body Objects I've added a couple of extra buttons to convert the selection down to a mesh or polys, both via the Edit_Mesh modifier.

Version 2 is here:
                http://www.garryclarke.com/scripts/GC_body_tools_v2.zip
                Garry Clarke
                Technical Illustrator
                www.garryclarke.com

Comment

Yup, I have run into this as well. In the past, after explaining the situation, I was able to get a limited variance on certain NDAs. Best of luck to you doing this as I know Dave would love to help resolve these problems. In my experience, improving the software and good customer service is very important to everyone at nPower.

-Alan

Comment

Yup, I have run into this as well. In the past, after explaining the situation, I was able to get a limited variance on certain NDAs. Best of luck to you doing this as I know Dave would love to help resolve these problems. In my experience, improving the software and good customer service is very important to everyone at nPower.

-Alan
                    +1 for that. Ive dealt with him a couple times in the past and Dave and his team for that matter have always been great and professional.
                    Cheers,
                    -dave

Comment

Originally posted by Syclone1 View Post
                      +1 for that. Ive dealt with him a couple times in the past and Dave and his team for that matter have always been great and professional.
                      Yes, they are really good folks over there. If at all possible, no one who has bought their software should ever hesitate to go to them for help in any situation.

-Alan

Comment

We use both importers. Max internal and Npower. Both have their pros and cons. The npower usually by default imports the object in the right scale. This rarely seems to happen
                        with our files and the default importer. npower has the option to import directly to mesh. This option also greatly speeds up the import time. Npower keeps the correct names
                        of objects. This is pretty important so I can for example quickly select all objects having "bolt" in it´s name to delete them. The reason why we also use the max importer.. for some
                        reason npower sometimes just fails to import files, or imports them incorrectly. Usually the max importer has no problems with them. When importing with npower and we keep body objects by default they render in a terrible low resolution. But I think this problem happens because we just have the basic version not pro. It´s always good to have more options when you regularly have to deal with STEP files. The price for power translator is acceptable imo.

Comment

Originally posted by samuel_bubat View Post
                          ...for some reason npower sometimes just fails to import files, or imports them incorrectly.
                          If you can possibly get those files to Dave Gill at nPower he'd love try to find a solution...

-Alan

Comment

Now that we can talk about 3dsMax 2016
                            You'll find in there a brand new step importer that does an amazing job. The possibility to import directly as a mesh, with some preset easy slider, or import as body Objects, as you were used to. It is great. I can load 1.7GB step file, and wait a little, and have a perfect mesh, automatically, each time ( at least all the ones I imported up to now) Saved tons of time transferring stuff.
                            The dev. on this was great.
                            Alain Blanchette
                            www.pixistudio.com

Comment

I'm no longer a part of the Beta program.

Who was involved in the development of the new STEP importer? Autodesk or nPower?
                              Midwest Studios

Comment

My contact for troubleshoot was at Autodesk. However, I do not know it nPower was involved.
                                The only thing I can say is that all the troubles I reported to the guy were fixed in no time, whatever the reports was on the beta forum or by mail directly.
                                Alain Blanchette
                                www.pixistudio.com

Comment

Working...
                                X