4790K vs 5820K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4790K vs 5820K

So the 4790K is 4.0GHZ stock so great for single threaded, but only a quad.
    The 5820K is hexacore and since it's latest gen, I'm geussing also use less power? Or not?
    What's the pros and cons of each?

I'm looking at a 2nd workstation and it seems the 5820K is a good fit.
    I won't be overclocking. Does these things still come without a cooler or is it now boxed again? If there's no cooler, can I just get a stock air cooler or won't that do?
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

I currently have 4790K and photoshop CC is really fast, with turbo boost it goes to 4.4ghz for single threaded app, you can definitely feel the boost!

But 4970K has some serious overheating issues...It is supposed to be 88W chip, but I see sometimes it jumps to 130W! Which is insane, and temps go to 90c with my huge cpu cooler and big case.

For rendering 5820K is probably better.

Comment

I don't have a 4790K but I do have a 5920K that I built a month or so ago and its been running great. I have it OC'd to 4.2ghz and when idle and normal use its around 35C to 40C and when rendering the highest Ive seen it go is 63C with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler. I did try the Intel cooler without OC and it didn't really cut it for me as the temps were hitting 80C and I didn't really trust that.
      Cheers,
      -dave
      ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

4790K overheating issue troubleshooting document:

https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-23517

The comments below the document give different settings used for different setups and their results.
        Ben Steinert
        pb2ae.com

Comment

Working...
        X