Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stretched Sphere - challenging edge distances (reversed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stretched Sphere - challenging edge distances (reversed)

Hi all

I have a sphere (hemisphere) that in plan has been stretched in the X and pinched in the Y, so it looks like an ellipse in plan.
    Then in front and left view, it has been tapered, so that the sides almost become vertical, then the top curves in to the middle.

Great, shape is correct.

I need only the horizontal edges, BUT here's the catch:
    Due to the strecth/pinch/taper, the linear 3D distance from horizontal edge to horizontal edge from the bottom is small, then becomes further to the top. I need it the other way around. I need the horizontal edges closer at the top and further at the bottom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	edges.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	881643

I tried with soft selection, but that doesnt work too well as it also then selects the vertical edges which in turn bends my horizontal edges down, making them curved and no longer horizontal.

Would be nice if there was a way whereby I could just shift the edges up or down.
    OR,
    conform a spline to the outside face of the sphere, then array it up over the sphere, becoming closer as it get to the top

By the way, I simplified it here so you can see. My actual object has a lot more horizontal edges
    Last edited by Morne; 21-04-2015, 05:19 PM.
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Anybody?
    Can RailClone Pro maybe do something here?
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

what about selecting the edge loops and moving them with edge constraint?
      Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

Could you use Loft/Fit? That'd allow you to place vertices wherever you want.

Comment

Working...
        X