Animation and photorealism question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animation and photorealism question

I've been honing my skills the past couple of years towards creating physically based renders and photorealism. The goal for me is to mimic what I've spent the last 20+ years doing with commercial photography. Recently, I was asked to do an animation of a particular scene that I created but I'm a bit nervous of the outcome for a few reasons:

- A single frame at HD resolution would take 35min, using the same settings that I would for print output at 4500x3600. That's a LONG time for 24fps.
    - I get the part about rendering out to .exr or .tga for the sequences, but what about all of the extra beauty passes such as AO? How would those get applied? Or perhaps I render everything out to .PSD with PSDManager and then set up an action that would apply other passes? I could then bring those frames into AE.
    - Is it okay to turn up the Max subdivs to, say 50+ I know there's more noise, but... In the same way, I'm guessing that a Noise threshold of .007 should be dialed up to .01 or .02? How about IR settings for min/max? (or should I try BF).

Any pointers, or links you can recommend for further study would be most appreciated.

Lastly, thinking about upgrading to VRay 3.0. Would this be a good move, speed-wise?

Thanks.
    David Anderson
    www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
    Windows 10 Pro
    3ds Max 2023.3 Update
    V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
    Puget Systems
    TRX40 EATX
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core 3.69GHz
    2X NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090