Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finding materials on objects

Hey,
    have recently started using Rebus and become a lot tighter on file sizes and texture sizes to help with upload speeds.

I often deal with files with thousands of objects and hundreds of materials.

I run a script called findlargebitmaps from scriptspot and this tells me the name of the maps that above a certain size.

I know what maps on my server are in the scene that are too big but have no idea what objects/materials they are used on.

My question is does anyone have a good way of finding what these maps are used on?

I usually end up moving the maps which causes them to error then run relink bitmaps and using the missing maps dialogue of that script can finally get the material into the editor and find out what objects they are on but am wondering if there is a better way.

I know that you can search for material names and map names but I want to search for the actual texture name, in this case wood-oak_extractedTex1512.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Mateditor.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	881717

I suppose I'm asking if there is a search option in the material editor that I have missed? or if there is anyway in max to search directly for bitmap names?
    Last edited by pg1; 06-05-2015, 09:56 PM.

I'd also love to know if this is possible. I'm betting there is a simple script out there that will do this. A simple dialog box that allows you to search for a map or material and see which objects it's applied to would be fantastic.
    Alex York
    Founder of Atelier York - Bespoke Architectural Visualisation
    www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

You can already do this in max
      Go to the utilities panel and click on the "more" button
      In the list select "Bitmap/Photometric paths"
      Now at bottom right in the panel, click "Edit Resources..."
      You will see the paths of all your bitmaps in your scene
      Scroll down and select the one you need.
      On the right click on "info"

It will display a list of all objects or nodes that are affected by that particular map
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
        You can already do this in max
        Go to the utilities panel and click on the "more" button
        In the list select "Bitmap/Photometric paths"
        Now at bottom right in the panel, click "Edit Resources..."
        You will see the paths of all your bitmaps in your scene
        Scroll down and select the one you need.
        On the right click on "info"

It will display a list of all objects or nodes that are affected by that particular map
        There it is! Thank you. I wonder if this can be wrapped up in a more user-friendly script. I might look into it.
        Alex York
        Founder of Atelier York - Bespoke Architectural Visualisation
        www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Legend!, thanks Morne.

and yes alexyork a more user friendly script would be awesome.

I really wish max had a useful schematic editor, that was searchable and editable Something along the lines of nuke.

Comment

Nice one Morne!
            3LP Team

Comment

Working...
            X